Monday, October 29, 2007

Recap So. Cal Fires

Our Southern California fires are coming under control based on a variety of reports gathered from the traditional radio, TV and newspaper news sources. I haven't had time to search much on the Internet which I'm sure provides some excellent detailed fire reports. My activities have been such it works for me to catch all-news radio stations when I am busy around the house, or listen to the car radio when I'm out. Also, today I spontaneously treated myself to breakfast out and drug along the Sunday paper to read. I enjoyed being waited upon.

I know my friends would advise me if events were not looking more promising for their family members, so I have employed my mother's philosophy that works quite well in some situations, "no news, is good news."

Sat. the sky was full of that light brown tannish discoloration, completely blocking from view the mountains only a few miles north. I was delighted, only temporarily, when about seventeen big raindrop splotches spattered on my car windshield, I thought this was the beginning of much needed moisture -- it was the begnning and the end. When I arrived home, just as I stepped from the car, more drops almost moistened the entire driveway, but that, too, ended.

From time to time these days the sky's color has transitioned from that light brown to becoming grayish in appearance. This morning we finally had blue sky, accompanied by actual white curdled clouds. Even the mountains were quite visible.

I know the areas east of us in San Bernardino County where Lake Arrowhead, Running Springs and other communities are, continue to demand much concentration from firefighters. For all the remaining fires everywhere I tend to be a bit cautious lest the winds change and come in from the east out of the dessert at what can be at very high velocity -- they're referred to as Santa Ana winds whatever their speed. Dormant fires can suddenly come to life again when those winds emerge. I hope that's not the case this time.

South of here in San Diego County, the San Diego Zoo Wild Animal Park actually had to close for a few days, but is now reopened. Only a very few animals reportedly died and other damage was also minimal. Avocado trees west of there around Escondio, were unfortunately affected, with one report indicating one third of the crop might be lost, possibly resulting in increased costs at the store for consumers. Sadly many homes were lost around Escondido.

North of that area is an Indian reservation, also the famed Palomar Observatory. TV pictures indicate dark smoke roiling in the sky in that vicinity, but lives are not reported to be in danger. I hope they continue to gain increased control there.

Events such as this should give us all pause to reassess what our disaster plans are. There are various events, in addition to fire, that are unique to each persons' own geographic area which could necessitate a hasty departure from home. I've been guilty, as probably others are, of needing to reassess my preparations for the unknown. We saw in New Orleans, and some have probably learned the hard way here in Southern California, about some of the complications that can prevail -- the value of self-reliance -- how unpredictable life can be.

I'm delighted to start this day hearing there's a possibility we may be able to look forward to some rain in the days ahead, that the winds are cooperatively laying low, and a high percentage of fire control prevails in most all fire areas.

1 comment:

  1. You said, "-- how unpredictable life can be." I can't agree more. My understanding is that we need cooperative weather to continue improvement. Thanks for your observations.

    ReplyDelete