Thursday, November 22, 2012

THANKSGIVING POTPOURRI



Happy Thanksgiving to you…..Memories….. 
 – sharing the day with family and friends whether in person or only in spirit!


A Potpourri Of Topics Follows
‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘‘
Six+ years ago on October 24th “Along The Way” was launched prematurely. 

This year’s timely blogoversary celebration was short-circuited -- in fact, did not occur until now -- due to complications rounding up band members.   First, delays occurred when some of them couldn’t locate their instruments.   Then, rehearsal time became interminable when certain musicians had difficulty remembering the song lyrics, or became confused about what we were celebrating.  Finally,  when we were ready to record they wouldn’t allow me to sing, or explain to me why I was rejected.  I will admit my voice had become a bit hoarse from yelling at them, but I can't believe they excluded me simply due to the raspy quality of my vocal warbling.

Personally, I think it was ageism, or some sort of discrimination, since my red hair has grayed -- I refuse to dye it -- and the strands no longer are as colorful an attraction as that of the drummer.   Without my lead the motley group predictably forgot the occasion when they finally performed.  They thought we were celebrating mine and other family members’ birthdays that occurred in October.  
This is as good as it gets readers, so don’t complain – enjoy!


~~~~~

My on-going grand experiment without television is proving to be quite enjoyable.  You can read how this experience began in September's "Tubeless-life..." when my TV's picture suddenly turned to snow.  Since then, I have continued to be just as well-informed on local to world news, weather and sports as when I watched TV based on my reviews of the latest news featured elsewhere.  I've enjoyed some pure entertainment programming via computer, too.

I was spared being subjected to all the bile spewing rhetoric, blatant mendacity and *pusillanimous prevaricators polluting the television airways during the recent election.   Radio ads were primarily devoted to California State measures.  My other news sources provided more than adequate current timely information on campaign events.  Political Party Conventions, 2012 Election Results and much more were viewed via live streaming video on my computer.

*[I portrayed a character who spoke these two words in a college play, a comedy I think.  Once I learned the first word's meaning, pronunciation and committed my lines to memory, I delighted in  delivering these words especially due to the alliteration, their sounds as they rolled off my tongue.   For some reason these words have continued to intrigue me, cause me to chuckle each time, so I welcome any opportunity to speak them, or in this case, write them.  This past political election offered new opportunities for their expression.  You might enjoy this link explaining the meaning of “pusillanimous.”] 



~~~~~

Books, books, books.....I’ve been gradually making some headway reading the paper and hardbacks I began accumulating, almost compulsively, when I had a period of practically living at now closed Borders.  They had large cushy chairs in comfortably spaced arrangements just inside the extended glass window wall in a very large light and bright room.  Internet connection at small tables was provided nearby.  Various beverages, tasty pastries, breads and other snacks were available at an adjacent bar.
(The store's competitor here, Barnes and Noble, is still a viable business, but does not offer an ambiance as conducive to reading.  They have the similar plush chairs, but they're crammed against each other, stuffed into a dark somewhat noisy little alcove.  If you're there with your lover or one you desire, and want to play footsie, or snuggle across the chair arms, the close seating proximity might be attractive.  They do offer Internet connection and have a small refreshment bar.)
Some nights at Border's talented young musical groups performed instrumental music’s old as well as current tunes.   Often when I was restless after my husband’s death I would go there, day or night.  I did, on a few occasions spend an entire afternoon into the early evening there, actually reading complete books.  There seemed to be something comforting about being with people and yet not, since no one was  known to me.   Uncannily, a young employee who ultimately revealed he was a budding musician, traveled with a group periodically on the road, did seek me out when I became a familiar face.  He had no way of knowing initially that my husband's avocation had been as a professional musician.  
I was attracted to browsing displays of current books promoted at special rates, buying some I wanted to read, but far more than I would ever peruse for some time to come.  I finally had to purchase a several shelf bookcase to house them from stacks on the floor -- many were/are nonfiction.  Eventually my reading impetus dwindled, then ceased for a period, following that real but unreal time six years ago.   
I did begin reading erratically some time after that with some books reported here, others read with my intent to possibly still share them.  Now, the past couple of months I’ve been reading extensively, beginning with some biographies.   Then, I became attracted to fiction, so I visited my one remaining used book store to seek some favored and a couple new-to-me authors, plus exchange a few of my books.  
The authors whose works I've currently enjoyed include Mary Karr, Anne Tyler, Peter Matthiessen, Jodi Piccoult, Margaret Atwood, Barbara Kingsolver, Jeffrey Archer, with more awaiting my selection. 
I’ll eventually get in the mood for non-fiction and back to those books in that special bookcase.  Then once I’ve read a few more of them I’ll likely acquire an E-Reader.  I think I’ll always want to have some traditional real books to read, but the E-Reader could be quite compact and convenient for some situations.
~~~~~
SPORTS news I recently heard reports another team has now joined the college "Big Ten Conference"!  The announcer said that made a total of 14 teams in the Big 10 now.  Huh???  Big Ten.....Fourteen.....is it time to come up with a new name for this group?  Perhaps, they already have one. 
Thanksgiving Day in many homes often is highlighted by not only the delicious variety of foods, but entertaining TV viewing of football games.  Some sated individuals will drowse off mid-afternoon.  Teenagers will be pre-occupied keeping in touch with their friends and their activities via their favored digital device.  Younger children will likely be robustly playing outdoors, or with digital games of their own.  Some women less absorbed by the football game will enjoy the talking and companionship with others who've arrived to share the day -- perhaps bringing their much welcomed salad, vegetable or dessert speciality.  I remember some Thanksgivings like that as well as others quite different, each enjoyable in their own way.   
What are your Thanksgiving memories? 


(Don't know how to correct Bloggers' spacing this HUGE area before comments come up which I discovered after post published.  Oh well!  Keep scrolling, comment section is down there somewhere.)






  






































12 comments:

  1. Joared--dMy favorite quote using pusillanimous is from Spiro Agnew who said, "Ultraliberalism today translates into a whimpering isolationism in foreign policy, a mulish obstructionism in domestic policy, and a pusillanimous pussyfooting on the critical issue of law and order."
    My thanks to greatestquotations.com for assuring that I got it right!
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on the definition of pusillanimous in the video above, I wonder if the "pussyfooting" in the Agnew quote isn't redundant? The statement of "mulish obstructionism" would seem to have applied to his own Party within recent years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, absolutely, Mr Agnew used redundance. I always assumed that he did it deliberately to emphasize his opinion.
      CC

      Delete
  3. Really good post JoAnn. Thanksgiving memories....lots of family, lots of good food...and lots of laughing. Bless you sweet friend. ~Joy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the visit and comment. Re your question, I have never heard of sausage cake, so I'd love a description of that. I think sausage is popular everywhere, at least where I have lived - which (come to think of it) has always been in the south....lol My NYC born and bred husband loves it though, so maybe it is a regional thing.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I obtained the recipe from her. When I get a chance I'll see if I can locate it.

      Delete
  5. Thanksgiving memories....Lots to remember and some of it with great humor...!
    A VERY HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU, MY DEAR!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving and many more years of cozy reads!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, yes, the 14th team to join the "Big Ten" is that mighty athletic power Rutgers. Perhaps an appropriate new name for the conference would be the "Big Joke."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of a bookshop with a cafe and reading area. We don’t have that here as far as I know.

    A very colourful collection of snippets here; I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your anniversary. Love the definition. I will never forget the meaing of the word again.

    Once upon a time, I read Anne Tyler, Peter Matthiessen, Margaret Atwood, and Barbara Kingsolver. Don't like Kingsolver much, but I know she is the darling of some. I don't read fiction anymore, history and nonfiction are more interesting to me. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, especially since I've disappointingly finally given up trying to post on several WordPress blogs, including yours, "Gigi-Hawaii", and "Woodgates View" that won't give me an option to post as Joared from my Blogpost acct., or even as Anon.

      I've liked some of Kingsolver better than others, i.e. the first one that interested me was "High Tide in Tucson." Tyler and Atwood I read more of years ago, but thought I'd see how well they appealed to me now. I have to get away from all the heavy duty history and nonfiction sometimes for just a change of pace as had been reading mostly them for several years. Integration of history(if accurate) with fiction is sometimes intriguing.

      Delete