Friday, December 23, 2016

SNOWFALL MELANCHOLY

Snow and this holiday season are entwined in my memories from my childhood through the early years of my marriage.  Though I've lived in the Southwest and then Southern California many years since then, the only snow we've had here that I've viewed -- except for brief flurries one winter -- are at higher elevations in the mountains rising above our foothill community.    I'm content to enjoy the melancholy mood Manhattan Transfer creates with this Claude Thornhill composition.     

6 comments:

  1. Such beautiful harmony! Thanks for sharing. And Merry Christmas to you Joared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas to you, too, Carole!

      Delete
  2. I grew up in California but spent many a winter in Wisconsin, New Jersey, Switzerland and Oregon.
    I figure I've done my time. Wisconsin was particularly bitter and to my eye not a very appealing place for about half the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter, like the other seasons of the year, has features I prefer over some other aspects I encountered. Key for me was keeping warm whatever I was doing.

      Delete
  3. C'Mon back for a visit. We are very pretty right now, with temps in the 50's on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like lovely winter days -- enjoy -- but get ready -- we're having much-welcomed rain, so expect that storm may evolve into bringing snow east to you soon.

      Delete