Sunday, October 15, 2017

CONVOY -- EXPECTATIONS -- ORDERS-AIR-RUSSIA

STRANGE BEHAVIORS

Open letter to whom it may concern  . . . . .  if you receive any reports I was seen behaving rather strangely last Friday afternoon, I just want you to know  . . . . .  I have not slipped a mental cog . . . . .

-yes,  that woman sitting in a lawn chair at the end of the sidewalk outside her dentist’s office next to a  small American flag planted in the ground was me . . . . .

-yes, I  was overlooking  Route 66 with the boulevard’s usual busy auto trafficin all lanes  . . . . .

-yes, I did attract a few curious gazes from passersby and the young boy skateboarding on the sidewalk . . . . .
              
-yes, I did sit there for ten or fifteen minutes before seeing a vehicle with a sign across the front that said, “Convoy Follows” . . . . .

-yes, there was a jeep-like vehicle behind it, but I didn't notice any other military vehicles, plus I wasn’t sure if the other ordinary cars and SUVs were part of the convoy or just the usual traffic . . . . .

-yes, I waited ten minutes or so more but saw no more recognizable military vehicles . . . . .

-yes, I finally gathered my belongings into my car’s trunk, then parked overlooking the boulevard just in case more vehicles should come . . . . .

-yes,  I waited about  ten minutes longer, then as I was about to leave a large military troop carrier type truck and a couple or so more jeep-type vehicles passed by quickly  . . . . .

-yes, I noticed on the back of one of those vehicles a sign that said, “Convoy Ahead”  alerting me to the fact the Convoy had come and gone . . . . .

-yes, I felt kinda foolish that the military vehicle convoy I had expected to see apparently was much more disconnected and shorter than I expected . . . . .

-yes, I understood now why the local newspaper office and police department when I phoned them several hours earlier knew nothing about a convoy coming through our town  as this turned out to be pretty much traffic as usual . . . . .

-yes, I felt rather silly to have contacted our newspaper and local police asking for the convoy schedule here,  plus I had even  gone to the trouble earlier to phone the convoy group’s national office to find out when they would be coming through our town . . . . .

-yes, I was encouraged about seeing the convoy when the phone person spoke enthusiastically about all the vehicles she had seen when they had been in her Midwestern town . . . . .

-yes, when she gave me the convoy leader’s phone number I even called and received a courteous call back giving me an accurately close approximation of when the vehicles would pass through our city. . . . .
-yes, I did plan to take a photo or video to share here, but the convoy was so short, came and went so disjointed and fast, I have nothing to share except this tale of unrealized expectations.

Refer to “Route 66 Convoy” segment in my previous post for specifics about MVPA if unfamiliar.

I am left to share with you one of my favorite versions of the following tune.

“This exclusive performance by The Manhattan Transfer of "Route 66", one of their classic signature tunes.”



EXPECTATIONS  

We have so many expectations in life – of ourselves and of others -- as I did of the Convoy above.  What is reasonable and realistic?   I think of this in relation to all the needs that are arising in view of the disasters sweeping our nation – the current destructive life-taking fires raging in Northern California, our own fires here in Southern California, the hurricanes winds and flooding waters affecting so many U.S. citizens and others elsewhere, as well as those victimized by gun violence.  Certainly the expectation for our good health is ranked high on our list, too, but when disease, accident, illness intrude, our lives are drastically affected, but that's a whole topic unto itself.    

Seems we’re hearing increasing news accounts of older people being especially adversely affected in these disasters.  I think of the Florida nursing home where residents should have been evacuated to a nearby hospital when their facility was flooded.  There have been numerous reports of Puerto Rico older residents in dire need of food, water, medicine and other health care long after the hurricane has passed, not to mention the continuing needs of all other ages.   Reports are still emerging from Northern California fires for unaccounted lives -- but some known older folks, who were unable to evacuate quickly enough to survive,  have been identified.  What were their expectations?   

The reality is, we may need to reassess our expectations of ourselves and others.   Whether or not we like it, most older people are not going to be as agile, fast, or as able to avoid dangerous situations.  Those with mobility limitations, in addition to being older, are going to be slowed whatever their age, wherever they are, whether they are subjected to a sudden disastrous occurrence, or even if they have warning.   We’re all wise to think about our situation now, or well in advance whenever --  in terms of our own personal status -- our physical condition, where we live, to plan in advance accordingly.  We may need to “leave”, not “stay”, or act early -- long before others.

Often we’re given recommendations about creating an environment inside our residences that will maximize our safety, or to move to a one floor plan setting, to eliminate steps, avoid ladders indoors and outdoors.   There is more we need to do.

We need to inquire in each of our communities about what systems are in place to provide us advance evacuation or shelter-seeking warnings, if we live in a fire, flood, hurricane/tornado high winds area.  Those of us living in earthquake prone areas are looking forward to a possible warning system in California, but that’s a few years away, if at all, though Japan has had an effective one for several years.    

We all will want to familiarize ourselves with what provisions have been made by our community to come to our aid before the storm, if expected, and after the disaster.    Older couples need this information, but older single people certainly do, too, and especially those who may not have family or friends nearby to be checking on their welfare.   Others may need to be occupied looking out for themselves.  Certainly we would hope all of us would be looking out for each other -- that would be our expectation.   

  
ORDERS-AIR-RUSSIA


Expectations for most Americans, other than the most wealthy, are not very promising based on this current Prez‘s continued betraying actions of the voting majority.    Undermining the solvency of the Affordable Care Act (ACA; aka Obamacare) is systematically being done by Executive Order.  What we will have now is basically Trump Care, as any resolution is left to his Congressional political party whose solutions to date have been untenable with either party. 

This administration also continues to dash the expectations of citizens for safety -- environmentally -- as efforts to provide clean air -- the very breath of life -- are undermined by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulations reductions.  One such,  results in increasing polluting coal burning (in an already fading industry whose decline has been due to a growing independent evolution to cleaner energy sources).   

Revelations of Russian propaganda efforts to interfere in our past election continue which demonstrates their government's lack of honorable values.   This dishonest ethical failure leaves me with an expectation that, regrettably, Russia's government will continue to be  untrustworthy.   

20 comments:

  1. At least you got to spend some time outside while waiting for the convoy. When you wrote about it before I couldn't understand how they could run one on a road like Route 66 without hindering local traffic to annoyance. Now I know. I live close to a major highway and have seen convoys of 50 to 100 vehicles and they stay close together on the highway.

    What is going on in Puerto Rico is beyond broken expectations, it's outrageous the callous attitude of the president. He also seems to care more about getting even with the NFL than about the fires going on out west or the environment. I really hate that guy!

    I have the Red Cross apt on my phone that in an emergence will list the shelters in the area. They also have a check list of things we need in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the convoys you’re describing are actual U.S. military exercises that I have encountered elsewhere in years past? This convoy group which I’ve written about are individuals who collect these old military vehicles as from WWII — a non- military activity as I understand from their web site.

      Yes, the rescue of Puerto Rico is beyond the pale — certainly far exceeding the expectations most Americans would have for receiving help from our government which the individual powers-that-be wouldn’t want for themselves, loved ones and friends if they were in a similar situation.

      The Red Cross emergency app on your phone is certainly an asset for many. I think of those who may only have a simple cell phone, or those still with land lines. I know some cities like my own do send an automatic recorded message alerting subscribers to various dangerous situations. I have received only a couple of those alerts and one call came long after I heard on the radio the situation was resolved.

      Both radio and TV broadcasters do provide alerts through what is now called the Emergency Alert System (EAS) — but what happens if the power is out? Those with certain solar systems to support their phones — if working elsewhere could be one system. Another system of long existence are ham radio operators like the husband of a friend of mine, or the now-deceased father of another friend.




      Delete
  2. Thanks for starting my day with a guffaw. Convoy, indeed!
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found my sad convoy tale amusing!

      Delete
    2. I think I just illustrated a case of my not meeting your expectations, Joared. Please allow me to apologize for my not having, first, sympathized with your wasted time and your disappointment, and then for not having made it clear that I was laughing at the pathetic "convoy".

      Please forgive me.
      Cop Car

      Delete
    3. No need to apologize as I had a good laugh at the situation myself and your comment. I probably should have added an emoji as words alone can sometimes seem quite harsh without the nonverbal language — facial expression, voice inflection, twinkle in eyes.

      I have no comment expectations other than that they be civil, are more or less related to topic (though we sometimes wander far afield which can be okay, too), and they’re not spammers or trolls seeking free advertising or promotion.


      I

      Delete
  3. Sorry that your 'convoy' wasn't what you had been lead to believe. Even if it was a short one, I would expect as you did that they would have kept it together.
    As I understand it, there are no real elder saving programs for us here in the boonies. You are supposed to have relatives to help in case of emergency.
    I trust the Russian government about as far as I do the American government.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the communications systems go down, those in the boonies will be on their own for a time, so trust all plan in advance as much as possible for the unexpected, realistically.

      Delete
  4. So sorry about the 'convoy' (or lack thereof.) :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never know what we’re going to encounter. Probably all the vehicles come together in those cities along the way where they gather, such as named on their schedule I.e. in California, Barstow, Irwindale, before their final destination in Santa Monica.

      Delete
  5. I hope the few military souls you saw appreciated your effort. How demoralizing when you realized you were the only one. Proud of your effort however.
    As an elderly person, I hope I am prepared but who knows what disaster will fall? My big concern right now is the care of my animals should I become unable. My dog is set up but so far no takers on my cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This wasn’t a military operation as they’re private collectors of old military vehicles as I understand from thei MVPA web site. I suppose some could be military, or former military people.

      Animal care presents all, and oldsters, with additional responsibilities which would take additional time and effort especially challenging if a hasty exit needed.

      Some areas are known to be more prone to certain types of disasters as would be where to go and what to do. Emergency kits to sustain for several days, at least, are recommended here in earthquake country, for example.

      Delete
  6. Now the military convoy makes sense...that it's not a convoy of CURRENT military equipment being moved for training, etc. I didn't catch that before. Route 66 with a convoy of antique equipment is a perfect pairing but I'm surprised there weren't more people taking part in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was described/explained in my previous post, also in my response to your comment there, and on the MVPA site link. I guess these vehicles are WWII vintage but haven’t read that they’re designated as antiques. I have wondered if more current models of some may still be used in our present military., but I’m not familiar with current military vehicles.

      Delete
  7. I think we all have high expectations of other people. The question is, are we happy for other people to have high expectations of us, and do we try to meet those expectations? Do we try to be as civilised, considerate, respectful and helpful as we can, or do we say, too bad, you just have to accept me as I am?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do typically have high expectations of one another which can vary based on the level of the relationship. Some of those expectations can be simple behaviors or actions, such as frequency and kind of attention; sharing of information. These are areas where one or the other may think the other’s expectations are too high, or as I think of it as unrealistic, which can be due to a variety of reasons. For example, some have described instances of unrealistic expectations their parents had for them, which they thought were undesirable, so created problems between parents and these adult children. But I can see they, in turn, have these same unrealistic expectations of their adult children which, predictably, is causing undue alienation with their children. This conflict could likely be avoided with adjusted expectations.

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness! What a story. But, as another commenter observed, you had a day in the nice weather and a good story for your troubles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, these are the unexpected events in life that can provide us with lots of laughs as I got a kick out of it. Hoped readers would share the laugh with me.

      Delete
  9. "Cease expecting and you have all things" That's my mantra and it works for me !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever works — as we each find what works for us!

      Delete