Sunday, August 20, 2017

TOOTHY -- THE GRIND -- DESPICABLE EVENTS -- MOON DANCE

TOOTHY

Self-attention has absorbed much of my focus the past couple of weeks -- nothing quite like a dental root canal to cause me to think about myself.   Having had one years ago -- that ultimately exhausted me with having to keep my mouth pried wide open for so long that I thought I’d crawl out of my skin before the Dr. finished -- I had this current root canal scheduled for two shorter sessions a week apart.  That earlier root canal had been more tolerable in retrospect because both of the roots were dead. 

I thought all teeth just had two roots, but I was surprised to learn this tooth had three roots.  In fact, some have four or five the endodontist said.   Should I have known this?  Did we learn this in grade school or higher grade science or health classes?   Had I forgotten this dentition knowledge?
This tooth’s third root nerve was alive, but numbing minimized or prevented most of the discomfort. 

When feeling returned after the first session, I finally reached the point I sought pain relief, but then the throbbing abruptly stopped so I didn’t take medication after all.   There was a dull ache, but I was not kept from sleeping that night.    The next week, expecting a possible initial similar reaction I was prepared, but unnecessarily so.   I experienced only a slight ache which interfered in no way with my night’s sleep, then that was gone when I awoke in the morning.  

Gotta finish up with this root-canalled tooth since, if all is well, then my dentist must crown it later.  I’m eating lots of soup, soft foods with minimal chewing on the opposite side of my mouth, but have discovered a sensitivity there.   Oh, well!


THE GRIND

Another day -- off I went on an errand necessitating I lower my driver’s side car window – click, click ….. gr-r-r- um, gr-r-r-um – the window doesn’t move back up.  So, on the way home I stopped by my trusty auto mechanic shop.   They agreed to keep the car there, trouble shoot the problem, give me a ride home and see if they could fix whatever was needed -- but cautioned they might not be able to do so until after the weekend.   Turns out they were able to install a new motor correcting the problem the next day, but the cost was double what I had paid for a similar problem several years ago when a warranty had applied absorbing half of the expense.  Oh, well!    

For the first time since I’ve used these mechanics, there was a flaw in the door control panel when the car was returned to me.  The fact that this occurred concerns me, but they will fix it free when I take the auto to them again.  Oh, well!


DESPICABLE EVENTS

This past week viewing television, surfing internet news accounts I’m appalled by events with hate-mongers crawling out from under their rocks to spread their venom in cities across our nation.    How anyone can excuse or defend their ideology of superiority is beyond rational moral comprehension.  

Marching in our streets to demonstrate power with threats describing their beliefs in documented conversations are reminiscent of what their counterparts did in Europe prior to WWII.   

U.S. Patriots peacefully counter-demonstrating in Virginia reaped the consequences of the hate-mongers spittle that corrupts weak minds, coupled with possible other trouble-makers deliberately inciting violence, resulted in a life lost and other decent persons being injured.  

The leader of our country is thought by some citizens to have betrayed our nation’s values once again.  He did so by not immediately unequivocally condemning those groups with whom the individual reportedly responsible for the death and injuries identified himself.

Providing/promoting equality, demonstrating moral, ethical values with the ideals on which our nation was founded to preserve our constitutional democratic republic is what our government’s leadership should be about.  We need to question whether or not our President is doing so based on his words and actions to date.


MOON DANCE

I learned we will see about 60% of the sun eclipse here in Southern California.   Fortunately, I was the recipient of the appropriately safe glasses to be able to directly view the moon and sun dance.  Their dance will begin around 9 a.m. here, reaching peak for us about 10:20 a.m., then ending about 11 a.m. I have only to hope we won’t have cloud cover interfering with my observing the event.  Oh, well!





23 comments:

  1. I wish I had a pair of those glasses! All the area stores are out. If I was younger I'd go downtown to the planetarium party.

    I didn't know teeth could have more than two roots. It's been a long time since I've had a root canal but they are definitely not fun. Hope the worst is over for you.

    Despicable events. Boy, you've got that labeled right. I wrote an entire post about Charlottesville so I won't repeat my disgust for Trump's reactions here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NASA provided eclipse-safe glasses to libraries that distributed them free. Our local library reportedly ran out of them weeks ago, but they retained some which patrons will be allowed to use who meet eclipse-morning In front of our library. You might want to check with a library where you live for any similar eclipse viewing opportunities.

      Delete
    2. That was the only source I found. As it turns out, it may be beside the point, since it's already clouding up and we have a 40% chance of rain. Personally, I like the tree-as-pinhole-viewer better anyway. It's so cool to see those multitudes of little slivers in the shadows.

      Delete
  2. Your post reminds me that I need to go to the dentist to get my dentures adjusted. No, the grind did not do that, your root canal treatments did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good idea as ill-fitting dentures would not be pleasant.

      Delete
  3. So sorry for your pain. You are brave to keep going and glad it is almost over. I have been blessed with good teeth...just that though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take good care of your teeth, but for whatever the reasons mine seem not to reflect the good care they received. Of course, I do still have them along with a couple false ones -- there was one erroneously pulled when I was a child by a dentist later institionalized as he had been doing this to numerous people when he lost his good sense. Was an event straight out of a horror movie when I recall the situation, though numbed, so no pain.

      Delete
  4. My 2000 Buick had problems with the window motors. We spent a fortune on them through the last 15 or so years, at least two on each door and 3 times on driver's side.
    I didn't know that teeth had three roots.
    Despicable, I can only agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be looking forward to the same window problem. Seems to me if they install a new motor it should last as long as the original which clearly the previous replacement did not. So far, it's only been my driver's side window since the others rarely get much use.

      Delete
  5. When we have a toothache, we know that not having a toothache
    must surely be bliss. But when we do not have a toothache, we forget it.
    I hope it will all work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm surviving quite well -- dental issues are another unwelcome blip in life when we're planning other activities -- not to mention the cost, though I do have some insurance benefit.. Just am glad to be able to get them taken care of as ideally everyone should be able to do.

      Delete
  6. Our library gave all their glasses out on Saturday to people who had signed up for an event. I found out too late to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad. Guess you could try one of those alternative methods though it doesn't allow a direct view.

      Delete
  7. Just two weeks ago, I may finally have broken through my pathological fear of dentists. I'll spare you the details, but when the work was done, the tech said, "Now, you can take Advil for jaw discomfort, and use this special rinse if you gums are sore, and do this and do that..." By the time the numbing wore off, I might as well never have been to the dentist. I was amazed. Now I can go back for round two without fear. I just wish I could go with insurance. A cool thousand for dental work is worth it, of course, but there goes the vacation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your experience allowed you to overcome your dentist fear -- that the pain experience was absent with med. I didn't have a special rinse, so assume one wasn't needed for me since this Dr. Is pretty thorough, I think. Yes, cost is a pain in itself, even with insurance.

      Delete
  8. Ugh. Nothing can come close to my fear and loathing for dentists and dental work. UGH.

    Here in NEO, we are in the path of 80-83% for the eclipse--which, by the way, I am mightily sick of hearing about--but a roving band of storms and clouds from Idaho may prevent us from seeing anything. No glasses to be had at this point, either, but I can still go outdoors and see the extraneous effects, just not look up.

    As far as 45* and his latest demonstration of Exactly What He's Always Been, I'm afraid it will land on the fetid heap of his still-steaming past outrages, the sum total of which the republicans have done nothing about and will do nothing about. What a soulless, horrific bunch of sellouts they all are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like my topics all hit a negative cord for you. Eclipse is past as I respond to your comment, so you won't have that to listen to until next time -- April 8, 2024 -- 7 years from now -- prepare yourself. I experienced talk of this upcoming event a momentary welcome distraction from so much else to which we're subjected including from the WH occupant.

      Delete
  9. I have had 4 root canals, each one having 4 roots. On 2 of the procedures, they could not get the final root numbed. You can imagine what it would feel like with needle going into the un-numbed root.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I surely don't envy you those experiences. Hope you don't need any more. I would prefer not having any more myself. I think there should be some sort of award or merit badge for those of us completing these procedures.

      Delete
  10. I didn't know teeth could have more than two roots either. I had a root canal filling in 2008 and the dentist warned me that the tooth might only last another six months, but nine years on the tooth is still fine!

    The rally by white supremacists (no doubt also male supremacists) in Charlottesville was shocking. But good to see that the opposition to them is proving so strong, especially on that recent rally where the protestors vastly outnumbered the neo-nazis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your tooth is still holding up. Incredible to me that these hate groups are tolerated, even embraced by anyone.

      Delete
  11. It hurt just to read about your dental problems. Ugh ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am glad that dental work is in my past now and tooth appears to have been saved.

      Delete