Sunday, September 24, 2017

BUSINESS DRAMA -- W.H. DRAMA -- THEATRE DRAMA


DRAMA, Drama ... everywhere – just can’t seem to escape drama whether at international, national or local level.   Several weeks ago I unexpectedly received a phone call one weekend afternoon.   I was advised my next hair appointment would be at a different location even closer to my home.   I had learned on my previous appointment that some long simmering intrigue the beauty shop’s hair dressers had with their colleague who owned the shop was coming to a head.   I knew something was eminent but hadn’t expected that the whole staff, except the owner, would be relocating -- but that’s what was happening I was told.    These ladies have all worked together for decades – mostly just part time now -- and qualify age-wise to be elders.

Allegedly, instead of managing the business to benefit all as had been promised -- when the group had supported their co-hair dresser assuming ownership a couple decades ago from another member now deceased -- she had focused mostly on her own self-interest.  Apparently, failure to effectively manage shop financial obligations, absence of disclosure, lack of truthfulness, secretive maneuvering had resulted in the business collapse with their suddenly being told she was closing the business and they had two weeks to vacate. 
   
A week later the owner had reportedly engaged in a sudden loud and emotional verbal outburst -- totally unprofessional when some customers were present -- upon discovering the staff was departing a week early for their own best interests.   One customer almost a century old became very upset, so when her next appointment got cancelled because she was in the hospital, speculation was rampant that the explosive incident to which she had been subjected might have been the precipitating cause.   She’s since returned home and continues appointments at the new location.  

Just as I adjusted to the idea all was normal in this new setting, I was apprised this past week that the group sensed some sort of change was in the works at the new place, but they were unable to determine what it was yet.   Never ending drama everywhere.


W.H. DRAMA

I can’t help thinking how aspects of this hairdresser’s business drama situation mirror what may be occurring in our nation’s White House.   This is especially ironic that this group whose misplaced trust in the person they chose to manage their business operation may well be further disillusioned if our national leader they avidly support also betrays them.  Guess they'll learn the hard way since, evidently, our leader continues to be more interested in just getting his way -- as with demanding revocation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA – Obamacare) – without consideration for the quality of any replacement healthcare plan. 

The drama of our leader arrogantly ratcheting up the juvenile tit for tat name-calling inciting North Korea’s blustering leader creates a literal world-threatening situation.   I’d like to lock the two of them in a cage together and leave the rest of us out of it. 

Thinking of the circumstances that lead our nation into the Iraq War, and now viewing the current PBS-TV Vietnam War series should give us reason for serious concern.   The latter program in Episode 4 features Sam Wilson, U.S. Army who makes a statement worthy of consideration today by those leading our nation:

   “It’s very very difficult to dispel ignorance if you retain arrogance.”     


THEATRE DRAMA

Reading about the importance of avoiding falls, especially for older people, that Ronni Bennett wrote about at “Time Goes By” recently, stimulated a number of my thoughts.   She described lots of effective measures and links to help us stay on our feet -- short of gluing them to the floor.     We do have to remember and then use those techniques for them to work which we may be careless about doing.   

I am reminded of an accidental fall I had 20 years ago – was in a cramped bedroom area, reaching up and twisting my body in some contorted way for an item on a shelf above the closet – I leaned slightly …but too far, I quickly realized.   I instantly knew I would be unable to regain my balance and instinctly determined to take a “stage fall”, which I did -- protecting my head and landed mostly on one side.  Coupled with the fact I fell on some objects I did end up for the first time ever with what I later figured must be deep tissue bruising.   Seemed to take weeks for that soreness and stiffness to go away.

I try to remember to use a “stage fall” if I’m going down – learned it in drama class in my young adult theatre “ham” years.   Basically, I just try complete body relaxation, allowing my knees and torso  to gradually fold down as my arms position to protect my head.   Keep in mind I am a lay person on this topic, so I’m not saying do as I do.   

For any oldsters -- with more brittle bones I don’t practice stage falls now as I did when young and certainly don’t recommend others do it either.    I simply try to remember those techniques I mentioned to use if and when I have a real accidental fall. 

I did find this wikiHow to Fall Safely link which does offer some good ideas about how to best try to position our bodies if we do accidentally fall.  You may find some good ideas to consider.   Discuss them with your doctor, a physical therapist if you have one, or other qualified orthopedic professionals. 

Move slowly -- don't turn too fast -- look where you're going -- stay on your feet -- and don't fall!

29 comments:

  1. I have osteoporosis and over the years have taken one or two very nasty falls. Nothing broken. Keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear no broken bones with any of your falls. Hope none in your future.

      Delete
  2. The link to "How to Fall" goes to a good article. Thanks! You learned how to fall on stage; I learned during parachuting. "Tuck and Roll" we called it back in those days. I've since been glad that I had the training. My deep tissue bruising (ice skating about 3 or 4 years ago) took at least six weeks to heal.
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your training would be really helpful, probably superior to mine. Oh, that deep tissue bruising causes really miserable physical discomfort.

      Delete
  3. I have a friend from Australia and they are also going through a lot of the angry rhetoric that we are subjected to regularly and from both sides. I wonder if the stars are out of alignment lol. My daughter claims it's global warming-- only partly tongue in cheek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny ! Maybe there are forces in the universe pulling some strings we don't yet understand contributing to some of what's going on.

      Delete
    2. I blame most of it on overcrowding. There are too many human bodies - which, of course, also causes/contributes to global warming and other noxious conditions.
      Cop Car
      P.S. The reCAPCHA thing gets on my nerves. Because the images are so dark, it took me 11 tries to please it this time.

      Delete
    3. With some of what's going on all over the world -- wars, weather, starvation, disease and other disasters, nature may whittle down a few human numbers.

      Sorry you're encountering so much problem with CAPCHA. I experience the same thing on a few blogs I visit on occasion for reasons I don't understand since I've posted there before, but maybe infrequently. I wondered if that blog was having unusual troll problems we, and even the blogger might not know about, that might trigger increased screening. Wish I didn't have to use CAPCHA at all.

      Delete
  4. The shop where I get my haircuts had the same kind of drama with their past owner. I think it's very easy for the owners to take advantage of those who rent chairs from them with unreasonable contracts.

    The White House drama, I think, is getting to everyone and I wonder how much longer can it go on. Our sanity is sorely being tested by Trump.I miss no-drama Obama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think you're right about the risks associated with the booth rental system. This was really a shame as they had been together so long and should have been a golden opportunity in a location to continue a prospering business.

      Delete
  5. Every day, DH will say something and my response is starting to be standard. "What has he done now?" It's always something with that man! Yes, I agree, put those two in one of those wrestling cages, lock it, and let them fight it out. Leave us out of it!
    How I remain upright is beyond me. Two falls so far, am a little worried about that third one. (Said to be the charm)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so tired of of the madness. Do stay upright and just skip that third fall.

      Delete
  6. So sorry you are having such drama going on. Tough when it is in our personal lives as well as on the national stage. No place to hide.
    I need to check that site and wish I had learned to fall when I was more limber and bounced better. Ice caused my fall and frankly, it happened so quickly that it was over in one breath. A plan would have been nice. As a result though, I tore my rotator cuff and it has plagued me for two years. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so sorry for that tumble and results you're having. Falls can be over before we know they've started sometimes. When we fall we surely need our bodies to react with an instant automatic reflex which isn't often well-developed, or even possible in some instances. I've fallen a couple times since the one I described and one of those falls outdoors in the dusk did not go as I would have wanted. Importantly, my head didn't hit concrete or the ground.

      Delete
  7. I'm not a clumsy person by nature, like my sisters tend to be, but I am fearful of falling. Especially in winter. As a matter of fact, each time I am at the top of a set of steps, I have the terrible habit of picturing myself falling down them. It's unnerving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, don't make falling down the stairs a self-fulfilling prophecy. May be good in that you take extra precaution and care walking down the stairs.

      Delete
  8. Drama. That is definitely the case. 45 is becoming scarier and scarier with each passing day. My guess is he hears footsteps from Mueller and his team and is in a panic. I always used to think the country could withstand anyone for four years but now I am not so sure.

    I never gave much thought to falls - clearly I should. I use crutchs which help but I do not relish taking a tumble. I do a decent tuck and roll but do not wish to have to do one again any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, become increasingly concerned about having needed brakes to prevent this nation being taken a step too far by 45 -- also, will the checks and balances needed to protect our system of government prevail?

      Do take care with your crutches -- expect it's important not to rush -- so what, in the scheme of things, if you're late -- may be inconvenient, but could be worse. If others can't handle it, that's tough and their problem, not yours.

      Delete
  9. Frequent falls really undermine a person's self-confidence. My mum has had a lot of falls and her self-confidence has noticeably declined. I think regular leg exercises are important to strengthen leg muscles and make falls less likely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your Mom doesn't fall any more. Probably leg strengthening exercises.would be one of several others that would be important.

      Delete
  10. I rarely fall, but I've had some good ones, including a couple of trips into the water at work, a face plant onto some limestone rocks in a one-person grave site in Kansas, and a couple of face-down-on-the-sidewalks around here due to things like non-retracted sprinkler heads hidden by greenery.

    None of them have caused permanent damage, and I mostly don't worry about falling. Still, I have given up a couple of things I used to do, like varnishing masts from a bos'n chair. A girl needs to know her limits.

    As for the drama, there's one thing I've learned. People can get hooked on their own adrenaline, and a lot of what keeps drama going is the drama junkie's need for that adrenaline rush. The news outlets count on it, and so do certain politicians and so-called leaders. Of course, there are ordinary people who love drama, too, and will create it if none's around. The phrase "drama queen" (and presumably king) didn't arise in a vacuum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You've taken some real headers. Please forgive me as I tend to visualize scenes and the thought of the Kansas gravesite reduced me to.....well, of course.....tears.....imaging your plight. Surely you don't think I'd laugh at something like that! Glad you survived all your tumbles, but can imagine they were none too pleasant except, maybe, the water dunking. Beware of sprinklers in the future, or stay on the sidewalk.

      I'm glad you know your limits -- varnishing those masts from a bos'n chair just might have been a wise activity to give up doing.

      So true about the drama creators! We don't see a lot of that these days.....or, do we?

      Delete
    2. That fall at the grave site actually was pretty funny in the end -- since it was the moment when I realized that, to some degree, I'd become a photographer. I'll be writing about it eventually -- things keep distracting me. :-)

      Delete
  11. I never worried about falls until my life changing backward flip on solid ice which had me saving my head while my back took the worst of it. Nothing broken but incredible bruising and concussion and oh yeah an ambulance ride of 100k on rough agonizing roads.

    Now I'm a wuss. A cane and fear my constant companions. Handicap parking spot surveys where ere I go.

    I'm so glad your health bill was thrown out for now. Word has it it's only a matter of time before he's nailed. Fingers crossed.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice....black ice .... can cause wicked accidents. As bad as your experience was, it could have been so much worse for you. Can well imagine you've been super cautious ever since, cause the tumbles we took as kids -- and could laugh about -- are far from funny for us as adults with each succeeding year. Hope your coming years will be slip-free.

      Delete
  12. My husband and I recently made a house change, and now we have a staircase. (We've lost our collective minds). Each of us have now had one tumble, and our poor 8 year-old boxer has suffered several slip and slids. Now, I walk down and up the stairs in front of her, both to slow her pace, and to be a block to a possible fall. Of course, if she really decided to tumble down, she'd take both of us to the bottom.

    #45 is a lousy excuse for a human being, much less a President.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you! Whatever are you thinking -- modeling how to walk on stairs for your dog when you don't know how to safely do so yourself? Glad you and husband survived your tumbles without broken bones. I do wonder if you may have jostled your brain a bit, resulting in your having some judgement issues, but surely hope not. I don't usually give advice, but in your case I'll make an exception. You have several choices: 1) move to a one floor plan house; 2) use the bannister -- and I don't mean slide down it; 3) install a stair elevator -- good luck training the dog to operate it; 4) never go upstairs again -- if you do, don't come back down -- just jump out the window on to an old mattress or trampoline. If we dont hear from you again -- we'll always wonder........

      Delete
  13. That wacko in the White House gets weirder every day. I can't imagine how the people he's hired can have any sense of job security. A wee bit of a twinge to his almighty EGO and he bites back. Disgusting

    ReplyDelete