Sunday, October 01, 2017

MEMORY -- DO NOT FORGET -- OCTOBER SONG

LIFE LENGTHENING

The other week I guess my subconscious mind attempted to lengthen my life, if only by one day.   I had checked my calendar on Sunday, as I usually do, and was delighted to discover I had only one scheduled activity in the week to come.   I was thrilled as had seemed every week, for I don’t know how long, there had been few, if any, days free from some obligation.   So, the days that week went leisurely by.  

Then, one afternoon, just as I leaned back in my recliner for a few moments of post lunch shut-eye, I received a phone call.  A voice I recognized said, “I guess you aren’t coming?”   “What?” I confidently replied, “This is just Thursday, and we moved my appointment.”, recalling we had rescheduled to a day different from my usual one.   “No, this is Friday”, I was told.   A few minutes thought and I realized I was a day behind.   

What had happened?   I hadn’t consulted a calendar during the week, remembering well I had that one appointment.   I chuckled to myself recalling that a decade or so ago I had waltzed into the shop one day for my appointment to the surprise of all, only to discover I was a day early –  causing us all to have a good laugh for weeks to come. 

I was also reminded of years ago when my children were in school, my friends and I used to laugh about getting our days mixed up whenever school day schedules sometimes cancelled classes for a day mid-week.    The day often seemed like it must be a weekend -- Saturday or Sunday.  

We clearly weren’t experiencing typical memory loss, but when we reach a certain age and demonstrate such behavior, others might be inclined to assume otherwise.  We, sometimes, even wonder about ourselves which we probably didn't when we were younger.   

Wisely, at any age, if we experience an increased number of such mixed-up or forgetful instances, we should discuss the matter with appropriate others, possibly trusted friends, family, our doctor or other professionals. 


DO NOT FORGET

Disaster effects from hurricanes, earthquakes, fire, rock slides, continue to wreck havoc on the lives of many around the world including many island peoples we should not forget.  Volcanoes are even erupting though no known victims at this writing. 

Our U.S. citizens in Gulf States and East Coast areas, continue the hard part of cleanup and reforging their lives.   Florida Key’s officials announce they are able to accept visitors again --  probably in real need of income from tourists  as will be many other islands, especially, including Puerto Rico.  
   
The island of Puerto Rico, an unincorporated U.S. territory, received the force of two hurricanes, one after another -- a real double whammy.   Unfortunately, the Territory has been in dire financial condition since before this disaster which likely handicaps their resources needed for recovery. Obviously, being an island surrounded by an ocean makes providing assistance from others more challenging, but alerts for emergency support planning were known well in advance. 

Puerto Rico's residents have been United States citizens since 1917 following the conclusion of the Spanish-American War in 1898.   Referendums have been held periodically with serious consideration by residents and U. S. Congress given to Puerto Rico becoming the 51st State in the Union. 
  
Our nation’s leader continues to betray the ordinary citizens of the United States of America as evidenced by the negligent manner in which slower-than-expected assistance has been provided to Puerto Rico and the people there.  

Likewise, initial descriptions from our leader’s proposed tax reform plan consist of smoke and mirrors hardly benefiting the typical American.   Additionally, more elements are surfacing from the cesspool this Administration continues to create in the swamp he said he would replace. 


OCTOBER SONG 

An original blues, soul, pop composition by a talented but troubled young artist known for performing in various musical genres who died tragically much too young several years ago.   





18 comments:

  1. What day is it? In my own case, I'll confuse the day OR I'll know the day but fail to connect it to the scheduled event(s), mentally. I am calendar challenged! My first semester at college (age 17), I missed two of my final exams because of my "handicap".

    The islands are in a world of hurt. I cannot imagine the lack of up-front coordination that the response bespeaks. I know that we were recruiting Red Cross workers (willing to rough it - sleeping in tents or on the ground, no bathing for days or weeks, MRE food, lots of walking and toting....) well before Maria hit. In fact, the first such worker from the Wichita area returned from his 2-week assignment yesterday afternoon.
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your connecting calendar day and event “handicap” would be a challenge!

      News reports of which I’m aware indicate those on the ground in Puerto Rico including individuals you describe have been doing all they could. The alleged concern centers on the President’s delay taking some necessary emergency action, unlike what he did for earlier areas struck by only one hurricane.

      Delete
  2. I have shown up a day too early for appointments. Makes you feel foolish.

    The way the president is treating Puerto Rico is disgusting. He seems more concerned with the money aspect of it instead of the people in a dire situation. No empathy! Their financial problems down there were made worse by him when he went bankrupt on a project on the island and he left Puerto Rico with an unpaid bond for 33 million dollars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Prez’s going bankrupt on projects then leaving others unpaid and/or deeply in debit has seemed to be a pattern in his business operations with such possibly excessive use of this legal mechanism not intended for such abuse. This was known before he became a candidate for the office he now holds. I’ve never understood how anyone could have thought he would be competent enough or have the integrity to administer the business of our nation.

      Delete
  3. Puerto Rico breaks my heart. For us all on this dying planet. For it can only get worse.

    My weeks collide and I look at my phone to tell me the days. BLUR.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technology today for those who are able to learn to use a phone or device to aid their memories is a real boon. I recall providing services to a young twenty something man who had a stroke a few years earlier. Learning to use a device to augment his memory had enabled him to pursue higher education at a Community College.

      Delete
  4. This happened to me recently, but managed to change the appointment to later the same day and the results were much better than if I had been on time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like it worked out well for you. We resked for a day later which worked fine for both of us.

      Delete
  5. Many is the time, I get mixed up as to what day it is. I don't have a work schedule, no kids in school, and DH sometimes works weird shifts. I figure I'm doing good to remember what time of the day it is. :)
    Thinking about Puerto Rico and doing a slow burn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When routines get changed is when we seem most likely to get mixed up, I think. We can be such creatures of habit.

      Delete
  6. After being so stringently yoked to the Days Of The Week as a highschool teacher for 30 years, I loved losing track of What Day It Was when I first retired several years ago. It is a luxury to have such a Sameness to the days that I don't have to think about tight scheduling, availability of materials, and/or cramming units into the available weeks of the year or grading period.

    Or bathroom breaks into brief minutes at the beginning or end of my conference or lunch period. Bliss!

    Those who look at the despair and neglect in Puerto Rico and defend the federal administration are Part Of The Problem and are completely lost. It is impossible to redeem or reason with them. They are him and will always be. Time is better spent reminding those who did not vote at all or who wasted their votes on third-party candidates to rejoin the electorate for more meaningful participation, and not just in the voting booth. The Resistance has been active since Day One of this failed administration. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hear you on relishing being free of such rigid scheduling. The short bathroom breaks are none too pleasant as though we can always control that need.

      Some do seem unable or unwilling to reconsider whether or not the reasons they chose their candidate continue to apply. Some past years I’ve had to change my mind about supporting a candidate when their actions and behaviors revealed they weren’t who they said they were.

      Delete
  7. Know all about the missing day syndrome. Think the lack of schedule is to blame. Just this week, I was a little concerned why my brother hadn't made his usual Saturday morning phone call. Then my sister reminded me it was Friday. Duh. Can't say it isn't a challenge.
    Also a challenge is trying to navigate our political landscape. The only ray of hope I have is that that same sister who is a Trump supporter wailed "Doesn't he ever think before he speaks?" Perhaps there is now a crack in his armor. We can hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too, fall victim to losing a day here or there I see. I hope there are more like your sister who are more closely questioning the words and actions of our leader. Am sure it must be disappointing to them that he isn’t the person they wanted to believe he was or could be.

      Delete
  8. I suspect when I retire and it isn't as require, days of the week will get jumbled now and then.

    The prez's response to Puerto Rico is nothing short of obscene and inhumane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems to happen to the best of us judging by the responses here. At least you’ll know if it happens to you.

      Doesn’t leave much to the imagination to figure out our Prez’s priorities.

      Delete
  9. Sometimes, our language limits us when it comes to some of the most basic realities of life: like time. The Greeks have two words for time: kairos and chronos. Chronos is our clock time -- chronology, for example -- but kairos is akin to the "right" time or the "fullness" of time. When will the grain ripen? Not on October 17, but when the time is right. Sometimes we forget appointments, but sometimes, when we think we've forgotten to be on time, we might have just slipped from chronos to kairos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this language perspective. I like thinking of those differing word concepts — chromos vs kairos. I may well have “slipped from chronos to kairos.”

      Delete