Rain and snow have come to California courtesy of El Nino, finally. We're still shy of adequate amounts to fully replenish our needs to overcome the drought we've been experiencing. Regrettably the storms have brought high winds with many trees felled, flooding, ocean cliffs collapsing leaving an uninhabitable dwelling, other related destructive consequences in some areas, and worst of all a life lost. We are predicted to receive more storm than we may want in the next two to three months.
Fortunately, where I live in So Cal (Southern Calif.) we've primarily benefited from the weather and been spared most of the negative effects. Mountain area resorts have been elated their ski area recreational activities are thriving. I can only wish others would be spared any damages to person and/or property from the future moisture we need.
This Presidential Election year continues to be unbelievably bizarre compared to any I recall in my lifetime. The American public is truly angry and seems to be saying, "a pox on politicians" as we know them. Seems to me replacing some of those in our Congress might serve to be a more effective step toward having our nation's problems meaningfully addressed, but that must wait until another election. However, this election is critical in many ways including the next President potentially needing to make several Supreme Court appointments.
Whoever is finally elected President cannot "fix" everything despite the verbose blustery pronouncements of some -- but amazingly to me there are many people who seem to believe such a miracle could occur. Issue views espoused by most candidates so far seem to indicate a void of moderate positions.
Surprisingly, supporters for some candidates have squeeked out of the woodwork from elections-past to lend excitement to this whole affair. Will all this hullabaloo bring out more voters? Maybe -- in this nation that seems to want news as entertainment and worships celebrity!
I think the Republican Party is fighting for survival as they appeal to the most extreme conservative elements and nourish base divisive human instincts in their followers. One of their candidates has literally turned this election inside out and upside down with the result their expected front runner(s) seem to have been lost in the shuffle. Their multitude of candidates are slowly whittling down in number as Iowa and later New Hampshire are the first States whose supporters will express their opinions this month. These States chosen candidates in either Party ultimately may not be the final Party candidate.
The Democratic Party has found itself unexpectedly having a strong race between two candidates with a third shadowing those two. They have moved toward more liberal positions on a few issues that might not have been expected if there hadn't been such a fierce competition. They have maintained a consistent strong stance defending all Americans, as our nation's Constitution prescribes, in contrast to rhetoric from their opposing Party.
Recently mutterings have been heard that a candidate might form a third Party if the surviving candidate in at least one of the Parties emerges as a nominee. Ah, the battle of the billionaires! I thought some of that money group were the ones everyone is angry with -- part of the 1% -- suffocating the middle class and thrusting all the rest of our population into the less-than 99%.
So much more could be said and getting into the specific issues which is what I'm really interested in seems almost premature at this point with all the drama that's going on. There's plenty of time for getting to those matters for some of us, I guess, after all these candidates get sorted out since Californian's don't vote until June. Also, this will be the first Presidential Election when all of those who have registered no political party preference can vote either Party.
When all final Presidential candidates have been selected, then, perhaps, we will have a better idea of exactly what issues will be pursued so, if in doubt, our choices will be evident.