Sunday, July 28, 2019

FIRST FLIGHT -- BASIC SURVIVAL -- FEELINGS


Big Bear Bald Eaglet Simba finally makes his first flight:



Big Bear Bald Eagles father, Shadow, (with a few black head feathers) arrives with a fish.  Seven minutes into the video Simba finally flies in from lower branches on the nest tree where he has been perched overnight to be able to claim his share.  


Mother, Jackie, (with all white head feathers) with son Simba sharing special moments as night descends.


Today I observed Shadow bringing a fish to the nest, but before Simba returned, to disappointingly find the meal has been eaten.  Simba spend the rest of the afternoon alone.  Just as dusk was arriving, he began to engage in chirping communication with Jackie as she finally flew in but brought no fish.  Simba exhibited subjective cloying behavior with touching exchanges between him and his mother but there was no food. 

Withholding food seemed to stimulate him to finally fly this past week.  I wonder if Simba's parents message to him now is to begin obtaining his own food, possibly bringing a fish or whatever else he might catch back to their nest for sharing?

These eagle parents appear to use a positive reinforcement system using food as a reward when he acts as they desire, such as making his first flight.  Even using tough love seemed to come into play when food was withheld until Simba made that first flight.

Teaching basic survival skills are shared by parental creatures of all types.   Perhaps there's much some humans might learn from the birds.

When I've viewed some of the interactions between Simba and both parents, but especially his mother, I have wondered if there are more emotional connections, feelings,  than what we may think.  Scientists have learned this is true in some other creatures, so why not birds?  What do you think?

This Audubon article reveals some interesting observations about the question of whether or not birds grieve.

Live Feed 24/7 Video Cam:  https://youtu.be/5b2dUgK6VV4

*****
Shirley Bassey -- a uniquely talented world famous Welsh vocalist sings "Feelings" recorded in 1976. Dame Shirley who also sang in three James Bond movies is in her eighth decade now.

*****

I may take a break from blogging here for the coming weeks.  I’ll probably return after the end of summer.    Everyone have a wonderful rest of the summer.   


21 comments:

  1. I don't know about birds sharing emotions, but I'm sure they have very sophisticated communications that would amaze us. What seem to us like meaningless chirpings and cheepings are probably swopping all sorts of important information like where to find food and water, which places are dangerous and to be avoided etc. etc. If we could only tune in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nature cameras are so educational. I've enjoyed your eagle series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I personally Believe that all Living Creatures have complex Emotions beyond our limited understanding. We tend to relate everything in Human Species terms since that is all we really 'feel' ourselves from an Emotional Connection with one another and perhaps somewhat with our more domesticated Non-Humans we live intimately with as Pets. Have a nice Summer respite from the Land of Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that about how birds wean their offspring from dependency. A lot of modern parents could learn from that!

    Have a great rest of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you have been able to watch all the lessons. Hope he finally catches his own food soon. Thanks for turning us on to the drama.
    Enjoy your partial summer off. We will be here when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy August, Joared!
    Cop Car

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you spend enough time around bird families, I think it's very clear they share emotions. It's a rare gift to get to do that as often we see them in flight or on a branch but not interacting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your break from Blogging … but please come back. Just wanted to thank you for your kind words about my book … it was very cathartic for me to write that. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your Summer Break. And thanks again for introducing me and my mother to the Eagle Cam. She especially has truly enjoyed it. As someone with Alzheimer's, she consistently remembers to look in on it and talks about to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, humans can learn a lot from the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful voice. It's been such a long time since I've heard that song. I hope you're having a great break.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoy your break! If anyone knows about breaks its me. Not only do I take breaks from blogging but I also "quit" blogging but give me enough time and like a bad penny, there I am again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you’ve returned. What’s your blog and URL link as clicking on your name here does not give access, or maybe you’re keeping it private?

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Appreciate your concern. I’m okay but not sure when I may resume writing here.

      Delete
  14. I am so glad to hear that you are OK. I've checked your blog often since
    July and miss you. Ginnie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just to let you know you have been missed and hope your resume blogging soon. Hope none of those fires are affecting you. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Current fires not a concern where I live or fo my friends south of here toward the Coast.

      Delete
    2. I have worried about you and then scrolled down and saw you shared stopped for a while, so wherever you are, take care of yourself
      and you are missed.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your concern. I'm at home, being lazy, enjoying not thinking about writing a blog post regularly and having to resist my impulses to expound on the state of our nation. Just finished reading "The Library" which I found to be an intriguing fun read -- more interesting than you might think -- highly recommend, especially for those who love books and libraries. Succumbed to reading "Catch and Kill" as wanted to read about the thoroughness of author's investigative process. Wrapping up Murray's bio of Aldous Huxley, then on to LeCarre's latest book. "Agent Running In The Field" -- modern day espionage.

      Delete
  16. Just a reminder .... though I may be on hiatus from writing here, this personal blog still does not accept comments from those freeloaders seeking free advertising for their businesses and/or products.

    ReplyDelete