Sunday, May 03, 2020

MAYDAY -- AGE DIFFERENCES


MAYDAY

The first day of May brought to mind a term that probably could have been applied when the virus with which we’re now coping emerged to become a world pandemic.  “Mayday” is that term which is the international distress signal used mostly by aircraft and ships.  

The term’s adoption in English was in 1923 as described in Merriam-Webster’s Word History:

“Owing to the difficulty of distinguishing the letter “S” by telephone, the international distress signal “S.O.S” will give place to the words “May-day”, the phonetic equivalent of “M’aidez”, the French for “Help me.”
---“New Air Distress Signal, “The Times [London], 2 Feb. 1923”

Most of us likely became familiar with that Mayday term and meaning in dramatic story sequences we read in books or saw in movies.   We now contend with a different type of drama as dissension surfaces over whether or not we need to continue wearing masks and  sheltering-in-place.  Meanwhile, we each adapt and protect ourselves in our own way despite what others do.   I continue to mask and stay in my home though some may choose to do otherwise.


AGE DIFFERENCES SIGNIFICANCE

The other day thoughts came to mind causing me to recall some instances in my life when I’ve been sensitive to age differences.   I thought about some of my friends married to contemporaries with both still living and I admit to feeling a bit envious.   Perhaps, if I had married someone my age I wouldn’t be alone now.  Of course, I know that’s all fantasy thinking, that numerous other scenarios could have occurred. 
   
I recall in my mid-twenties dating a guy who was developing a widow’s peak hairline leading me to assume he was older than me, a belief he reinforced.  When he finally revealed that he was, in fact, several years my junior, I was not only surprised but bothered by that difference, partly because he had been less than honest with me.  I’m not sure now why our age difference concerned me, beyond the fact he mis-lead me in the first place, though I did wonder what else he might avoid the truth about.   But for some reason I do recall being bothered that he was younger which seems not to matter to me now.   In the long run it wasn’t an issue since we eventually mutually ended our relationship. 

Then, there was the occasion when I was in my seventh decade, continuing to work.  I periodically interacted at my work site with a much younger person that was especially enjoyable for several reasons, including we shared a similar sense of humor.   I was pleased when in time that person’s administrative skills and talents were recognized, resulting in their advancement to a responsible higher level position.  We continued to kibbitz as before on those generally less frequent occasions when we met. 

Then, one day our conversation somehow resulted in my incidentally, but casually, mentioning my age.  I’ll never forget the startled look on my friend’s face, who after a long pause, commented, ”I thought you were about the same age as me.”  I don’t know what significance this difference made to my friend as nothing was altered for me.  I had always had a variety of friends on the age range spectrum. 

I do know that from that day forward, whenever we came in contact the person became very formal, kept the interaction brief.   So, I respected the invisible line that was being drawn for whatever the reasons. 

Have you ever encountered an individual or situation when age difference had significance to you, them or both of you? 

15 comments:

  1. Sadly yes. The one that got away for me was just 4 years younger. But when you are in your 20's that is much bigger than it would be today. My friends called me a cradle robber. Today, it wouldn't ever be noticed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, today you would be considered a cougar which is more acceptable to many.
      Only one of the situations I described above was a romantic relationship. In retrospect I thought maybe the other was because the young woman I mentioned was becoming uneasy with her midlife self when she realized she had identified with a person so much older than she was and this was just one more thing. I considered this since later she left her job as some sort of life crisis seemed to be developing. I don’t know what ever happened to her.

      Delete
  2. I have always been very open about my age (not to imply that you have not been). If there were ever a problem, I wasn't aware of it.

    My husband, who is a whole three months younger than me, loves to call me his "older woman." I always tell him that I'm merely previewing for him what he has to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve always been open about my age, too, though generally it never comes up. Love your response to your husband.

      Delete
  3. I think age very much matters to some people. It doesn't to me. I have a lot of younger and some older friends. It is easier when we've shared similar experiences growing up probably; so around the same age works best. I think in writers there has been some prejudice against old writers who maybe wouldn't be hep or something. I've noticed the writer cliches tend to revolve around those of similar ages, which is why some hide their age if they can. I don't. I is what I is :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I’ve never been bothered about revealing my age but seem to be a number of folks who are about theirs.

      Delete
  4. During all of the years of my 40s, I was single. Age came up with two of the guys that I dated and one that I didn't, really. #1: He was 10 years older than I, but told me that he was fighting the feeling that I was "too old" for him. One day, upon realizing that a friend who had beautiful white hair was the same age as the guy, my mind went "click". He was history. #2: A guy who was 14 years my junior commented that a guy his age was presumably supposed to be out chasing 18-year-old muffins. We both had a great chuckle. We broke up, but age had nothing to do with it in his case. #3: A guy whose age I didn't know, but whom I assumed to still be in his 20s asked me one day, "Am I old enough to take you to lunch?" Again, this was good for a chuckle and I enjoyed his showing off his sports car to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m reminded of a friend, now deceased, who seemed to have age issues about herself. She told me conflicting stories about her age being the same as mine, later revealing incidentally while relating other information that she was actually older than me and also her husband. She also described when single having a relationship with a much older man she wanted to marry, but he had insisted he was too old for her and she needed a younger man. Subsequently, she did meet and marry the man who was her husband. She was also very careful about her appearance, to maintain hair color and makeup — no casual outings even with me — needing to look as young as possible seemed to be very important to her. Her younger husband did have a youthful appearance for his age, though he was only a few years younger than her, but she seemed to make extra effort to be sure she wouldn’t look older than him as they aged. He was very devoted to her and did out live her by several years when she acquired a terminal disease.

      Delete
  5. In terms of specific relationships, I've never found age difference to be a problem. Of course Jenny is ten years younger and that's never been an issue. Occasionally younger people, noticing my age, will assume I'm a bit mentally lacking or physically frail, which is more amusing than annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we get older there can be false assumptions younger people make about us.

      Delete
  6. Not just one or two, I have had many such encounters primarily because my working life started much earlier than most people's and this resulted in my being in responsible positions over much older people. Vicissitudes of life made me look older and so when the real age was known, there was often shock and incredulity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that once it was known you were younger than thought that mostly this didn’t alter the attitudes negatively toward you in your supervisory position.

      Delete
  7. When I was younger, I always dated guys who were a little older than me, almost never younger. Then I met a friend in Illinois who was married to a fellow 7 years younger and they had an awesome relationship. It seemed to make a lot more sense then since women live about 7 years longer, I think. I wish now that my husband were younger than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given life expectancies can make sense to marry a younger man but my husband was 7 years older than me.

      Delete