Sunday, January 31, 2021

VICARIOUS LIVING -- VIRUS -- LANGUAGE INFLUENCES HEALTH

       "The November 3rd election was the most secure in American history." 

POV  

I'll refrain for now from elaborating more on the anger I feel toward those U.S. politicians -- who clearly aren't statepersons -- continuing to betray their oath to our constitution and protection of our democratic republic by not holding accountable those responsible for the traitorous acts and murders associated with the Capitol's assault January 6th -- another day of infamy!  Meanwhile we must keep refuting the deceptions, disinformation, lies, conspiracy theories used to undermine our democratic republic.


VICARIOUS LIVING

On a more mood-altering note, living vicariously one night this week, I virtually visited the Big Bear Mountains via the live camera focused on the vacant Bald Eagle nest.  The ferocious sound and sight of wind gusts blowing the spitting snow whipping through the tree nest tapped into sensory memories of times when I had such similar real experiences though on the ground and not hundreds of feet up in a tree.  The recollection caused me to shiver involuntarily though I was now warmly ensconced in my recliner chair far removed from this real scene.

I couldn't help thinking how glad I was the eagles first clutch of eggs had not survived to hatch.  The baby birds might well have not lived through the series of storms we're having with more snow, wind, rain and cold temperatures expected in the coming week.

This past week over 2 feet of snow in 48 hours in those mountains and the ones above where I live became welcome rain at our lower elevation.  "On average, thirteen inches of snow equals one inch of rain in the US, although this ratio can vary from two inches for sleet to nearly fifty inches for very dry, powdery snow under certain conditions" as reported by the National Severe Storms Laboratory.

Hopefully, we'll draw closer to building more adequate water reserves described by California Department of Water Resources since we're behind for the coming dry summer heat.

Will be interesting to see if after this next storm the eagles refurbish their nest which a raven couple rearranged following their devouring the first clutch of eggs.  I wonder, will the eagles try again to raise a family this year starting a new clutch in February?  Here's that Big Bear live cam link if you want to see what's happening up there.  The scenic mountain lake view and sounds can be relaxing even if nothing else is happening.


VIRUS

Here in the human world, we're busy trying to ward off a virus we cannot see but one equipped to inflict considerable disruption in our lives and even take the life of some of us.  This devious virus mutates and evolves to circumvent the medications used to treat and destroy this enemy.  So, we now have variant viruses including at least one version stronger than all others that may be somewhat immune to the vaccines our scientists have created.  

Meanwhile, in the U.S. and around the world people are rushing to obtain what they hope will be a life preserving vaccination against these viruses.   Near me in Los Angeles County at our fairgrounds free vaccinations are being administered to a never-ending line of those driving through who have been able to make a reservation.   Even more people complain of difficult time-consuming efforts on the Internet or even by phone trying to make a reservation because there are so many in need.  The necessary vaccine is limited in quantity, too, as are the distribution sites while manufacturers are rushing to meet the demand.

While I am now eligible to receive a vaccination, I have decided to simply wait for my pharmacy or physician to receive a vaccine supply and have my injection provided by one of them.  They will contact me to reserve an appointment once they have vaccine.  Until then, I will continue to follow the safety precautions I have been taking successfully the past year.   So what are a few more months or however long it takes.  I fully intend to take those same precautions for a time after I receive any vaccination, too.  Who knows, by then maybe the inoculation I receive will have been modified to resist the latest viral variants and might even be refined to require only one injection for protection -- or not.  Whatever, I'm prepared to adjust accordingly.


LANGUAGE INFLUENCES HEALTH

I may be in a better position than many to be somewhat isolated from society,  living alone as I do and no longer working.  Even the challenge of grocery shopping is eased with delivery and pick-up services coupled with the Internet's offerings.  I can still safely drive to drive-thru restaurants.  There are so many people who need to be out and about, are necessarily exposed to other people in the process of earning for their livelihood who are in more need of vaccine protection than I am.   Others seem much less able to adapt to a more confined life with limited physical contact to other people than I experience.  Even virtual contact seems to be intolerable for some after only a short period of time in their life though I'm quite satisfied with the limited amount I have.

Maybe the Just Scream hotline, closed January 21st, serves as a better form of release though I've never found that to be a successful outlet for me no matter how frustrated I feel.  I just read that, apparently, people have more to scream about, so effective February 1st they are reopening Scream's phone line -- in case you're interested click on the link above.

We all have different needs and limitations to our acceptable thresholds for being able to function effectively with the physical absence of others.  Some seem to be better able to accept their situation without becoming distressed.  Others seem to be more needy.  I think for some, just the conscious knowledge their freedoms and choices have become limited for any reason, despite the fact it certainly isn't permanent, has created so much anxiety in their mind and thinking, they seem compelled that they must resist at all cost, however illogical or irrational that may be.   I'm not much for volatile emotional outbursts as a release such as those mask wearing resistors demonstrate.  The stereotypical tale of redheads having hot tempers is another one of those falsehoods which as one I can confirm.

I do believe how and what we think with the words we choose has considerable bearing on how events unfold in our lives.  I remain quite convinced the language to ourselves we use in our heads does influence our attitude, thoughts, emotional state and behaviors to impact our health for better or worse.  When stress becomes distress our language to ourselves can alter that state as described in this Mayo Clinic link.  Self-talk benefits have been noted in various studies including even reducing pain such as discussed at Healthline.com.   I wonder if others put a premium on the words they tell themselves or if doing so matters little?

29 comments:

  1. The premium on words makes sense. I just finished a telecon with a cousin who has suddenly become single a couple of weeks ago. We speak to each other everyday during this adjustment period. Today for the first time he said "I am beginning to enjoy my solitude." That made me sit up and compliment him for using that word rather than the more common 'loneliness' and we discussed the pros and cons of such usage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words make a difference, just as does the meaning of solitude versus loneliness as you are so aware.

      Delete
  2. I've been watching, with much interest, the news of the snow and rain in California. It has been awhile since the water supplies for the populace have received such a boost. We received 1.26" of rain, yesterday, and 1.1" one day last week. I don't know about you, but I dither between wanting more and fearing we'll get flooding.
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water rising where you live would certainly be reason to dither about rain. I’m sure the concern for flooding, even mud slides once the soil becomes saturated is a concern in a lot of areas. Fortunately where I live that is not a concern but all those who live in fire ravaged mountainous areas do worry and I sympathize with how they must feel.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your usual rich post Joared, much to mull about. Like yourself, I am not in a rush to get the vaccine as my fairly solitary life keeps me safe and I entertain myself quite well.

    Self talk is interesting. I find myself chatting to my dear departed dog quite a bit as she would always listen. And maybe still does. A good outlet for my whinging and whining.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs can be such good listeners who even seem responsive at times in my experience.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the link to the eagles. They seem to be having a really hard time of it this year as the rest of us.
    As for conspiracy theorists, when you hear what the likes of Marjorie Taylor Greene are manufacturing, it is terrifying. She is one sick puppy.
    I'm like you on the vaccine. I am not happy but have adjusted to our new way of life and wouldn't mind being put behind anyone who has to work for a living. I don't have to go out, they do. I'm on a list at my pharmacy and I hear there are 800 ahead of me. I can wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those eagles seem to be having their share of troubles and they don't even have to worry about our virus — or do they? I guess not.
      It’s downright scary to have some of those people serving in our congress. That bastion of truth-telling Sarah Huckabee is running for Ark. gov. I read — whew!
      Guess we’ll continue to survive if we’re careful ‘til our pharmacies get some vaccine and call us.

      Delete
  5. "How and what we think with the words we choose has considerable bearing on how events unfold in our lives." Very true. How we describe what's happening to us clearly influences our responses, either negatively or positively. Likewise how we interpret what's happening is also crucial. Though it's hard to see any positive interpretation of the pandemic....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, except I’ve read some people saying they’ve come to appreciate the value of spending more time with their families so maybe some good emerges for them and their family members.

      Delete
    2. In this morning's newspaper (The Wichita Eagle) was an article about being able to predict/detect the onset of Alzheimer's by analyzing the writing style of the person. It seems that word use tells much about us that may otherwise be undetected.

      Delete
    3. I’ve long counted on what a person’s handwriting can tell about their health state in my professional work and personnel life with letters from family and friends — not the type of analyzing that is done by people who study and practice that in depth. For example, the beginning indications of hand tremors could be revealed with ever so slight changes in letter formations. Now that our children are no longer being taught to write cursive we’re losing that source of informal indicator information.

      Delete
    4. My tremors are evident in my block lettering as well as in my handwriting; so, I think that the lack of cursive doesn't negate that indicator's usefulness. OTOH, according to the newspaper article, it was not the formation of lettering that gave a clue to Alzheimer's but the formation of sentences.

      Delete
    5. Yes, I read the article and they are talking about language as opposed to the actual formation of alphabet letters. That, too, is a very important aspect of assessing function, but so, too, is the actual forming of each alphabet letter, especially in connective cursive, other features. People don't often print postal type letters to others now that we email, text, etc. Holiday letters my family and friends exchanged each year often could reveal when someone might be weakening in many ways from one year to the next well beyond just tremors and the language aspect.

      Delete
    6. I might add, FWIW, assessing language as described in the article is not new. This is and has been for decades a basic part of both informal and formal evaluations in diagnostics by Speech-Language Pathologists. Certainly it does reinforce the efficacy of examining such performance. Determining the Alzheimer’s predictive aspect is new.

      Delete
  6. Your thoughts on language, especially the language we use within our heads, to ourselves, is interesting and thought provoking. I am going to chew on it a bit.

    I am getting the vaccine this week, first dose at least. I am eligible due to volunteering for Meals on Wheels, though I haven’t delivered any meals in many months now. But this way when they go back to needing drivers to deliver meals, I can be ready. I went back and forth on it a lot, feeling like I should wait, should not take a vaccine from someone who needs it more. Eventually I came down on the side of letting the county decide that, and also that the more people who are vaccinated, the better off we all are. Still not entirely sure of my decision, but at this point at least, that is the plan.

    Gosh, I do hope for more rain. This has mostly been a very dry winter thus far. Up here there isn’t much in the forecast. And of course, I feel so badly for those in burn zones, who now must worry about mud slides. I often think of leaving California, but not sure where to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously, I put a premium on the significance of self-talk in our lives.
      I would recommend anyone take advantage of getting vaccinated if the opportunity readily presents itself as you are doing. I’m not being noble foregoing the vaccine a while longer, but it may benefit some who truly need it. It will be more convenient for me to go to my pharmacy than the appeal of sitting in a long line of cars at the nearby drive-thru location. Plus, I didn't look forward to spending lots of time — maybe hours— making multiple phone calls trying to get through to even make an appointment. I, too, feel for those people for whom the rain can be a threat. Having lived in a variety of places across our country with different climates, California where I am now most satisfies me despite the water issues, sometimes excessive sunshine for this fair-skinned redhead, and earthquakes. Maybe I’ll change my tune with more environmental or other changes in the years to come. At my age there may not be that many years.

      Delete
  7. I was so disappointed by the failure of the Big Bear eagles' clutch, especially after last year. I tuned in to the Southwest Florida eagles, watched them produce two eaglets, and now, sadly, they've been taken from the nest to be treated for severe eye infections. As quickly as eaglets grow, I wonder if the mother will accept them back after the two-week absence.

    If I get the opportunity to be vaccinated, I surely will take it. Ohio's rollout is a mess, and right now, I have zero hope of getting anywhere near a shot until perhaps summer. I'll go by what all the experts are saying: if you get the opportunity, take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the delay for our big Bear eagles has been good given the recent weather. Just hope they startva second clutch this month. Sorry to hear about the Florida eaglets eye infections. Hope they get accepted by parents when returned to nest. Should be interesting.

      Hope you have an opportunity to get vaccinated sooner than you expect.

      Delete
  8. I agree that those eagle eggs did well not to hatch during stormy weather. And, yes, it helps to have delivery and internet service and drive through restaurants to keep from being exposed to the virus. I hope that future vaccines will improve to deal with the variants and mutants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two years ago when i first started visiting the eagles they did hatch two eggs, then the second egg that hatched a few days after the first egg and was a slightly smaller eaglet died in just such a storm. I happened to be watching when the bigger bird got under its mother’s wing but the smaller one seemed to have trouble doing so, consequently was exposed more. They had both grown considerably by then so I don't know if she couldn't readily cover both of them and there wasn't room for that second one named Cookie or what occurred. Soon after Cookie could be seen weakening and then died.

      Delete
  9. We have been in no hurry to get the vaccine, which is good since AZ has not had it being delivered and yet it's a hot spot. We try to stay isolated except when needing to resupply. I hadn't been sure if I'd have it given my problems with the flu vaccine, but they say this is different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s hard trying to figure out what’s best based on what is presently known but seems to periodically change as that virus tries to thwart human efforts to nullify its effects. You probably have sought your doctor’s and/or other medical peoples views for consideration.

      Delete
  10. I think I can relate to your feelings on how you handle the pandemic...I too live alone and, although it may sound very dull to others, I have found a way to stay quite comfortable and don't miss the company of others anyway near as much as others seem to. Although I will turn 88 on the 15th of this month I am still very healthy and do my exercises every day. After that I spend quite a bit of time researching for interesting things (all true) that I write about and put in the form of an email and I have 8 people that, the next morning I send the article to. They seem to like learning about something that they have not known about and it gives us both a break from just the usual boredom of TV, etc. Thanks for your thoughtful blog entries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an interesting activity with you researching and emailing to others. This pandemic would probably quite a different matter for all to cope with if we didn't have the Internet.

      Delete
    2. Andy and I haven't been affected much by the restrictions. He still goes up to the land every day and I keep engaged down here thanks to the internet. When something happens to one of us the other will be left with a huge hole in their heart, but we're enjoying the time we have left.

      Delete
    3. That sounds like a good approach, making the most of each day whatever any limitations may be.

      Delete
  11. I wouldn’t say that I have experienced any distress, not the kind which drives you into the comfort of excessive drink, or shouting at people, or maybe just weeping. But after nearly a whole year of solitude I would love to go to the pub, the theatre, or just for a cup of tea with a friend. However . . . .

    I suppose our mildish and not-much-of-anything British climate makes for a boring winter. You might not believe that the weather is a hot topic of conversation for most Britishers but it certainly is. Snow comes as a great surprise every year and causes much alarm in the media and private conversation. Yet it’s always gone within a couple of days.

    I’d love to see the eagles’ nest but the url doesn’t work for me here. I frequently find that ‘the video is unavailable’ for you. Funny, not such a worldwideweb after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can appreciate how pleasant it would be to be able to meet wit friends as you describe. Since all of mine have long since moved away or died or both i miss doing so, too, but for other reasons.

      Interesting that we do much the same here often focusing on predictable weather conditions that occur each year with only a matter of degree difference. The amount of rain and snow can be a legitimate matter for our attention since we’ve been faced with drought conditions for several years.

      Sorry you’re unable to view the bald eagles nest. There are a variety of live cams on various creatures nest scattered about the world. I recall coming across one whose URL i don't have now, but it featured a white fluffy young bird in a nest overlooking a spectacular ocean view that i believe was in Australia. I’ve not checked to see if any live cams in Europe but would think there might be.

      Delete