Sunday, May 30, 2021

"TIME GOES BY" -- HAS TGB GONE ... BY ... BYE?

MEMORIAL DAY COMMEMORATION

Memorial Day commemorates those whose lives were taken in defense of each of us and the United States.  I especially remember those who fought in WWII though few of that generation are still living -- the veterans themselves, other contemporaries.  I have written posts devoted specifically to honoring all those serving our country you may access in this blog's archives numerous years on this date.

HAS TIME GONE BY?

Others have commented here missing the "Time Goes By" community and reading Ronni Bennett's writing at her blog due to her death last year.  I was reminded last month we often celebrated her April 7th birthday with her.  I think we all knew what skills, experience and perspective with humor she brought to her blog were unique to her, not to be easily imitated or reproduced by another.  She expended considerable time and energy into promoting the goals she had for TGB's focus on aging and providing encouragement to elderbloggers.  

Like most who were influenced by or followed RB's blog we have looked forward to the blog continuing with a new writer.  We were delighted to read a close friend Ronni had encouraged decided to become TGB's blogger to be known as Autumn as she last told us in December  2020.

Since Autumn's December pronouncement TGB readers have awaited the next communique.  Some readers, including myself, wanted to support keeping the TGB community together.  We, independent of one another, tried to follow Ronni's dictum to "talk among yourselves" as she had encouraged on those few occasions in the past when she had little to write.  So, we generally referenced some topics about which she had previously written offering our new fresh commentary and encouraging others to add their thoughts, to select other of her blog post topics to comment on, or even introduce some new topics.  This was all done, hopefully to maintain interest, and TGB community followers until that unknown time when Autumn has been expected to begin writing there.

Whatever the plans for TGB they remain unknown.  In the past months comments have been closed on all of the TGB topics so keeping the blog active for reader community dialogue is obviously not part of the plan for the blog presently.  Or perhaps someone stopped the comments because too much moderating was needed for an increasing number of unacceptable comments, those seeking free advertising, trolls polluting the content.  Coincidentally, just before comments were closed, I had decided to discontinue commenting there further any way, on what I had come to see as a dormant TGB for new posts.

I don't presume to know what Ronni's thoughts were, but based on what I knew of her desire for her blog, I think she would be disappointed her blog has not been actively continued in some fashion with at least an occasional brief status update since that last December pronouncement. Possibly Autumn continues to be involved with resolving issues associated with RB's death, formulating her plans for TGB, securing her own continued anonymity if that is her preference, and many other explanations.   Everything is pure speculation so TGB followers apparently must be patient a while longer for the promised blog continuation.

I've looked forward to learning what the philosophy of TGB would be, the guidelines for posts and comments to be followed, if TGB will continue to be non-commercial as well as the blog's content focus.  I've looked forward to seeing if the blog will still be of interest to me as one of the older bloggers there.  RB was close to being a contemporary of mine though slightly younger, plus we had other shared interests.

Will matters pertaining to older bloggers be addressed as well as the focus wisely being primarily on Boomers and younger generations?  I realize as someone whose life as a child was during WWII that those of us still living are increasingly few in number, but I've appreciated encountering others like myself at TGB as well as reading of other generations experiences and point of view.  I don't know what sort of connection I may feel with another blogger or bloggers and the direction TGB may take if, in fact, TGB continues.  Unfortunately, many of the aging issues RB addressed continue to exist in our culture impacting all ages ultimately, so there are still many matters needing discussion for how to resolve.

Incidentally, quite by accident some months ago I came across an exchange of comments on another blog that has since become dormant, too.  That blogger expressed congratulations to her commenter for having decided to continue as TGB's blogger.   My clicking on that commenter's icon surprisingly to me linked to TGB though she was commenting from a different blog.  When queried about her relationship to TGB she responded such a link was an accident.  I did research that commenter's name who will remain unnamed in respect of her privacy.  I did not contact her and have no further information to share on this matter.

I don't know if or when TGB will resume with Autumn or someone else or others writing, or what is the intent for the blog's future focus and content. I'm as curious as you may be.  The December 2020 post Autumn wrote says she will be continuing with TGB, so only time will tell when a fresh post will be published, if ever.  Surely, if Autumn has since changed her mind, deciding to not assume blogging at TGB she or someone would say so.  Meanwhile, "Time Goes By".

 

18 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for honoring Memorial Day and for the introduction to Ronni Bennett which led me to follow link after link to find out more about her and her blog. I am moved on so many levels this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found today’s blog post to have special meaning for you.

      Delete
  2. I too miss Ronni and her blog but really wondered when she passed if another could step in. Her shoes were quite big. It would need Ronnie's dedication and that I don't think can be inherited or acquired. It needs to be a core value. Ronni had a mission, probably Autumn does not have that same one. So we wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think anyone taking over TGB would likely want to establish their own approach to blogging there. The blog would become different in many respects but could still devote attention to some of the continuing issues important to all the longtime blog followers while attracting new readers.

      Delete
  3. That would be a big responsibility to continue in the venue, genre, style of another that was pretty popular. I do know another blogger met Ronnie before she moved West and said she was a very strong personality and could only be taken in small doses. Most of us may not have that passion or energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure TGB would necessarily be different with another blogger. I never met her or even spoke with her on the phone though we did occasionally engage in email communication. I might add, a woman, especially, had to be strong to survive in the TV network environment and in NYC where she was in those years, I characterize that world pre-cable and the Internet, even afterward, as the original here today and gone tomorrow business,

      Delete
  4. I am amazed that Ronni's blog had such a profound effect on you. I never followed her, so don't know what it was that affected you so much. Anyway, I hope Autumn does find the time to write a post on the blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed with RB’s focus on authenticity, providing documentation to support what she wrote, demanding civility in conversation there, avoidance of TGB’s commercialization, her writing. I had long since placed a high value on the use of language and the words used that influence people positively and negatively and appreciated that she recognized that, too. The topic of aging had long interested me and living choices in our older years, issues pertinent to us, and the challenges age discrimination presents. I shared her view increasingly of the benefits blogging could present older people, others with limited ability to physically explore the world. These are just a few reasons why I appreciated what RB was attempting by writing TGB. I didn't always agree with her but that didn't distract from her efforts. Her background in TV was another shared experience in common so I had a sense of the forces she would have encountered in her professional life to succeed as she had.

      Delete
  5. Back in 2006 I read an article geared to retirees. It mentioned Time Goes By and encouraged that we elders (or getting there) start a blog of our own. That was all I needed. I started Goldendaze-Ginnie and have had a fun and enlightening journey with it since then. I've met about 8 new people in person and have mourned those that we lost. I am now 88 and intend to see it to the end ... including keeping up with your well thought out entries, Joared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came across a small newspaper blurb similar to what you describe when I was first learning to use a computer. I was keen on finding trustworthy sites to visit which TGB was purported to be. Virtual interaction with RB eventually, appreciating her blog goals and the subjects she discussed led me to eventually, however unintentional at the time, to start my own blog after my husband’s unexpected death. I enjoy reading your commentary on issues of the day and personal recollections of your life experiences.

      Delete
  6. She is a loss and nobody can really take her place. I met her at her event and glad I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice you were able to meet her after she moved to Oregon.

      Delete
  7. She lived in my condo complex! I discovered that when she posted a picture in the snow. When I returned to Oregon, we met and worked together for a while trying to set up a local Village.

    Her car is still here and the condo has not been listed for sale. Such a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that you were trying to set up a local Village -- very much in keeping in what I would have expected her to be doing. So much more she had to share here about some of her ideas some elders might want to adopt for enhancing their lives in our varied settings.

      Sounds like matters may still be unsettled since RB's death which could account for the situation with TGB.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Sorry for the moderating delay publishing your “test” but here ‘tis, so at least this went through okay as know you said you’d had problems commenting here.

      Delete
  9. I'm late to the party on this post as I haven't been keeping up with reading blogs over the past week or so. I appreciate your thoughts on the TGB mystery. Apart from the particular essence that was unique to Ronni, I find I am missing the community she allowed to flourish on TGB. But as you and some of your commenters say, we will just need to wait to see what happens.
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too late ... topic is timeless presently .....

      Yes, it has been the community she created that I have valued, too, and have wanted to see sustained. I’ve been concerned the more time that passes without new posts community members may drift away, cease checking back to see if any new posts, and focus their interest elsewhere.

      Delete