Saturday, December 25, 2021

HAPPY HOLIDAYS W/RAIN -- MEMORIES -- MUSIC

                               M E R R Y     C H R I S T M A S  !

Rain ... rain ... rain ... !   Our Christmas gift from Mother Nature has arrived at the base of  Southern California foothills where I live.    Snow is falling in the surrounding mountains.  This moisture won't end our drought conditions but will certainly be a welcome step in that direction.

One hot summer day in SoCal,  many years ago,  singer Mel Torme' visited his co-song-writer, Bob Wells as Torme' has described numerous times.  Observing a piece of paper with words written on it lying on the piano, Torme' inquired, "What is this?"

"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, 

Jack Frost nipping at your nose"

Wells explained the weather was just so miserably hot, he had tried everything, finally jumped in his pool but nothing he did soothed him, so he wrote those words to see if they might help cool him down.  Torme' commented he thought the words looked like a song.  Collaborating once again, "The Christmas Song" was written in the next forty minutes to become one of the most performed Christmas songs ever.

"The Christmas Song"  (Live/1990)

Mel Torme' with John Campbell

Album -- "The Christmas Song/Autumn Leaves"


Mel Torme' whose singing voice had perfect pitch was referred to as "The Velvet Fog",  a description he did not like but some thought non-offensive and most apropos.  Torme' maintained vocal quality as he aged which not all singers do -- such control, sophistication and class.  

Memories can be pleasant on a Christmas day celebrated virtually with distant family members.  I have fond recollections of attending with my husband,  a Mel Torme' performance in a local midwestern city dinner club where we lived years ago -- a most entertaining evening.  

I am also reminded of hearing George Shearing, a consummate pianist, incidentally blind, perform in a San Francisco hotel's club room years after his guest appearance on that live TV show with which I had been associated and where I met my husband.   Listening to this music conjures memories of my much preferred small intimate club or concert hall atmosphere where people relaxingly sit, focused on the music, musicians, rather than large concert venues with loud sensory bomb-barding sound and video extravaganza distractions prevalent in recent years.

Torme' joins George Shearing in the following concert video in Germany.  

Torme's song early in the show suggests to me we're again living in times when we may need to "pick ourselves up" and get on with life.  Then Neil Swanson's fast-fingered bass solo was reminiscent of my husband who also played the acoustic upright bass with his various groups and occasionally backed some musical stars.  
 
About 28  minutes into this smooth easy-going video Torme' sings a very emotionally moving rendition of "Stardust" with poetic lyrics eliciting many more memories as he showcases his vocal talents.   Some  upbeat tunes are featured with an early-on bit of scat singing -- vocal interpretation of a musical instrument -- reveals that Torme' is a master in those songs he vocalizes here.  

Mel Torme' George Shearing Jazz Festival Berlin 1989 Full Concert

Mel Torme' Vocals, George Shearing Piano, 
Neil Swanson Bass, Donnie Osborn Drums.
 

Torme' and Shearing pay tribute to somewhat younger Caterina Valente (age 90 now) a world famous multi-talented, mult-lingual (fluent in 7 languages) entertainer traveling from her home in Switzerland to attend their concert.

An even more youthful Caterina Valente's sensuous dance and vocal interpretation of "Malaguena" begins this next video, that integrates memorable movie clips of other popular stars of the era performing to her song.  

Caterina Valente
"Malaguena" (1955) 



                         H A P P Y    H O L I D A Y S !

17 comments:

  1. Thank you. Happy holidays to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two great memories come up here, my father-in-law who was an excellent tenor and greatly loved the crooners, would sing this Christmas Song while we shaved.
    Caterina Valente was a star in Germany in my childhood days. She was a child circus artist in the 1930s and during WWII her family suffered greatly incl. deportation to Poland and Russia.
    I remember my parents dancing in our new house when we had just moved in to this song:
    https://youtu.be/Gzd1f3ruTfo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to wish you happy xmas and thank you for bringing these gems to my attention again and I should have written "while he shaved".
      So thank you!! and how wonderful to hear that it's raining!!

      Delete
    2. Glad this brought you some great memories. Caterina such a talented musical artist! So sorry her family suffered so much. I viewed the link you provided as had looked at some of the others but hadn't seen that one or I probably would have provided it in my post, so thank you.

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas Joared. Thanks for the delightful trip into the past and that was interesting about how the Christmas song began.
    Have a wonderful day with smiles, warmth and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Christmas Song is a classic, for sure. I sang it a few times with various choirs for performance. It's lovely.

    Merry Christmas, Joared. I was so happy to see that California is getting some much-needed rain and snowpack as a present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Holidays, Joared! Glad to hear that California has rain and snow for Christmas. I enjoy reading about your memories and listening to your music offerings. Had not heard of the dancer, Caterina Valente before. Thank you for bringing her splendid dancing to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love those old standards. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not keen on Christmas songs myself, I've heard them all so many times they no longer mean much to me. But anyway happy holidays, and let's hope 2022 is a better year for all of us, with the virus posing less of a threat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a fellow Californian, I am right there with you on being HAPPY ABOUT THE RAIN AND SNOW! What a wonderful Christmas gift. I hope that it lasts and we get the right amount of rain and snow for the entire season, wouldn't that be a true blessing?

    I know almost nothing about these songs, except that I hear them from time to time and they are nice. It made for an interesting read, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should be so blessed to get enough rain and snow to make a big dent, or even more, in our state's drought condition!

      As for the music selections I often post here, they can be a selective taste from earlier decades that may not appeal to all today but may resonate with a few.

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year Joared, blog on my friend.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ve been away for a little while without my laptop and have just checked out what I missed.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you for Mel Tormé and George Shearing. I (shhhh, don’t tell anyone) downloaded it so I could watch it over lunch with a fine chilled Yarra Valley chardonnay and my own recipe salmon tatare.
    I sat there just in my shorts, a sight that fortunately no one else had to see, not even Norma the A.M. as she wasn’t around today.
    I hope you had an adequate Christmas and ignored New Year as I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you’re back and enjoyed the Torme’ with Shearing video I was so pleased to find on YouTube. I won’t tell anyone about the download. Sounds like a delightful lunch with great entertainment! Norma doesn't know what she missed. Christmas was what it was as was New Year’s.

      Delete
    2. A couple of weeks later…
      Norma, the A.M., came around for lunch today (steamed salmon with black beans and mirin, a sort of Chinese/Japanese hybrid of my own concoction) and I played the concert for her.
      She thought it was great. He’s nearly as good as Tony Bennett, I said. Oh, he’s better than Tony, she replied.
      Indeed, she put aside her cryptic crossword and Sudoku to watch. I don’t think I’ve seen her do that before.

      Delete
    3. Interesting to read Norma's reaction to Torme'. Bennett has lived longer and his voice held up quite well as he aged. Lunch sounds good again.

      Delete