Friday, April 03, 2020

JAZZ CELEBRATES ELLIS MARSALLIS' LIFE

L.A. MASKING

We have now been told to wear cloth (cotton) masks we can make ourselves – NOT to use the N95s and respirator masks that should be for hospital doctors, nurses, health care workers being exposed to COVID 19. 

Soon after, today's TV news interviews with Los Angeles County health officials recommending we wear masks which could protect against the larger COVID 19 virus molecules Californians began taking action.   

I lamented in an email to a friend my sewing machine to make a mask was in need of repair.   She forwarded a link to this Karen S. Kloset video her son had just sent her that will show you how to quickly and easily make your own mask with no sewing required.   

Here's a link to another "zero-stitch mask" designed by Runa Ray that creates a pocket allowing insertion of a filter should you acquire any.
                                    
Shortly after emailing me my friend devised a cloth mask for herself without sewing.   She used her granddaughters’ hairbands for hooking around the ears and cut up a colorful old nightgown for fabric, sending me an email photo wearing her mask that I jokingly characterized to her as “bandito” that I won’t share here in respect for her privacy!

Just as I was chuckling at her photo my doorbell rang.  Opening my door I saw an Asian couple I didn’t recognize standing at some distance in my driveway.   These limited English speakers offered me a small bag with free face masks which I appreciatively accepted.   The bag was left for me to retrieve after closing my door to provide the social distancing we maintain.  What a thoughtful generous gesture from unknown to me caring people.

We're being told by some health care professionals to anticipate several more months ahead much as we're experiencing now.  Stay well all!

Addendum:

This is the last from the U.S. National Institutes of Health in 2013 testing the efficacy of homemade masks against influenza for what it’s worth:  “better than nothing”.

For any interested in comparisons of masks worn by doctors, nurses, healthcare workers from the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (CEBM)  at the University of Oxford.


JAZZ CELEBRATES ELLIS MARSALLIS' LIFE AS MUSICIAN AND EDUCATOR 

Born: November 14, 1934 New Orleans, La.     
Died: April 1, 2020  New Orleans, La, -- Complications of COVID 19

Pianist, patriarch of a renowned family of jazz musicians including internationally famous Bradford and Wynton plays his composition - "Homecoming" on his 80th birthday at Lincoln Center in this NPR video.  



12 comments:

  1. Very few people here wearing face masks. But people and shops are rigorously enforcing distancing so that should minimise the possibility of infection. Northern Ireland has a comparatively low level of confirmed cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Distancing, staying in our homes seems to be helping here in California.

      Delete
  2. What kind neighbors you have! My dear friend--a quilter--is sending me some masks she has made. I am very grateful.

    Ohio has extended its lockdown to May 1st. This is starting to feel like a Lost Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m most appreciative of neighbors. Hope your lockdown doesn’t have to go beyond May 1st, but don’t be surprised if extended further if anything like our experience here.

      Delete
  3. What special neighbors you have.
    I just bought 2 cloth masks from Etsy. They are washable and will protect others from me. If we all wore them, it might nip this in the bud since people can be contagious with no symptoms. I plan to wear mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you — glad you have masks as they are purported to be of some benefit. Yes, my neighbors are being very supportive.

      Delete
  4. My daughter made her own mask and many more about 3 weeks ago and she gives them to all her friends. She lives in upstate NY and takes it all very seriously....as we all should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very wise that your daughter made and distributed masks weeks ago.

      Delete
  5. That was incredibly nice and generous of those people to drop off masks. It's people like that who really restore my faith in humanity. I've been experimenting with making masks. I'm terrible at it, but hoping to get better. I think at this point "better than nothing" is becoming really good. The number of cases in our town went up by 23 on Saturday, so it seems to still be spreading. My husband is an essential worker, so I'm all for anything that's going to offer him any level of protection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by to comment. Yes, the generosity of the Asian couple to give me masks is most appreciated in this day and time. Interesting you are experimenting crocheting masks and hope this proves to be successful for you. Also, hope your husband stays safe, you, too, and loved ones.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful gesture from strangers. Wow. I am knitting some masks, I think they merely send the message that I am not going to be breathing on anyone and to please stay a distance away from me which many can't seem to grasp.

    Catching up with you Joared!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masks you're knitting will, hopefully, send the message when worn. Yes, the mask gift spoke volumes, especially when I consider reports of what some U.S. Chinese have been subjected to in our country.

      Delete