Sunday, September 20, 2020

WILDFIRES ... QUAKES ... AUTOCRACY

This was supposed to be about scrambled eggs but that will have to wait until next week ‘cause we had an earthquake, but first.....

Strong wind gusts have been picking up fanning the fires still raging east and west of where I live in Southern California, Los Angeles County.  Wildfires have expanded into some new areas resulting in more families and animals having to evacuate, homes lost.  

Think of all the wildlife including birds and other living creatures that are able, some much too slow moving,  those living below ground, all fleeing for their lives.  Smoke at higher altitudes cloud level has been moving  east across our entire country.  Lower altitude skies allow the sun’s rays to filter through here with air pollution lessening somewhat now.  

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes – Ray Conniff – a calming instrumental version.

Mount Wilson west of where I live sees the continued Bobcat Wildfire ebb and flow as more than 93,000 acres has burned in just the last thirteen days as of Saturday 9/19, fluctuating from 0% to 6%, then back down to 3% for several days and up to only 13% containment as I write this.   Fire moving northeast through the mountains toward new populated areas is causing evacuations, more homes lost. 

Fire has threatened the historic 116 year old astronomical Mount Wilson Observatory noted for the telescopes providing photographic plates Edwin Hubble used to discover the Andromeda Galaxy.  Flames came on two occasions, the last time within 100 feet of that area.  Additionally, Los Angeles broadcast towers for television, radio and government agencies are located on that mountain which are critical for enabling signal transmission throughout So Cal L.A. area including to my house.  

The Eldorado wildfire east of my town rages on, burning over 22,000 acres endangering new areas there, started originally by that gender reveal celebration which has now resulted in a firefighter’s death.  Palm Springs has also had a wildfire emerge causing evacuations. 

As if wildfires aren’t enough, at 11:38 p.m. Friday 9/18 as I was writing part of this, we had a 4.5 earthquake with an epicenter west of my town near El Monte – the first quake I’ve felt in several years.  Newscasters closer in toward L.A. reported feeling two large jolts.  

What I felt at a greater distance east were slight jolts with a slow rolling motion, for about 10 seconds that made me wonder if a truck was going by on my street or Route 66 a block away, but I quickly realized it was an earthquake.  I was given pause to wonder, as usual,  if this was a foreshock with an even bigger quake to come.  

As soon as quake shakes stop I usually immediately turn on the all-news L.A. radio station, KNX.  Tonight since my television was on I found KABC-TV was broadcasting live quake coverage as they continued to do until 1 a.m.   

They interviewed Dr Lucy Jones, Seismologist and public voice for earthquake science and safety in California whose reliable information and commentary is reassuring.  Dr. Jones providing the factual truthful data even with unknown elements, including the possibility of a worsening situation does not incite panic in our cities.  

Our actual non-panic experience contradicts the flimsy excuse our illustrious leader in the White House promotes trying to justify his lies and failure to tell us the truth about the corona virus beginning months ago when our having such knowledge could have allowed action to prevent thousands of deaths.  

There’s a 1 in 20 or 5% chance a foreshock is preceding a bigger quake to come, but with each passing minute the likelihood of that lessens over the following 24 hours.  We did have aftershocks of lower strength, but I didn’t feel any of them.  

ABC newspersons also reported text messages from viewers who described what they felt where they were located.  Because of the pandemic TV staff have had remote capability setup in their homes which allowed live audio/video interviews with many of them.   All of this interaction and sharing of information served to reassure viewers as I, too, experienced.      

We’ve had enough disasters here but consider this quake as a wakeup call reminding us that we do live in earthquake country and to be prepared.  The ABC-TV News helicopter reported fire and police departments established there was no damage noted in immediate surrounding epicenter communities that might be most likely to be at risk for such.  

We learned this quake has been felt all over Southern California as their TV coverage ended.  This quake is pretty much out of our conscious concern now as occurs after most we experience that cause little or no damage --  until the next one.

Given the pressing issues of the day including those associated with ...the U.S. Presidential election, 

...the Supreme Court Associate Judge replacement situation due to the tragic death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg, 

...the need to save our democracy from what begins to seem like an autocratic capitalistic theocracy of our current leader, 

...corona virus threat, 

...environmental and climate change issues, 

...the reminder of future earthquake potential, 

...concern for my younger dear friend living some distance away who unexpectedly texted me from the ER late Friday night, during all this but before the earthquake she would have felt, as she waited for a hospital bed.  They didn’t have a bed open, probably due to the virus, though her issues were other than covid-19.

All of this is just to name a few matters giving me quite enough to occupy my thoughts, many of which you probably share with me plus adding a few others of your own.   Despite all, my spirits are upbeat and I hope yours are, too.    

I am reminded it's critical to ...V O T E ! ! !


15 comments:

  1. Good to know that despite the chaos around you, your spirits are upbeat. Mine are too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Areas of India are having some weather-caused issues, too. Trust you are safe from them all.

      Delete
  2. Earthquakes are my nightmare stuff. I've been through some mild ones but the loss of control has such a massive impact on my personal sense of safety.
    When my daughter moved to New Zealand, where earthquakes are an almost daily occurance, I made the mistake of installing an app on my phone warning me of every seismic event in her area. It cost me a lot of sleep. I've changed the setting now so that I only get notified when it's a big one with tsunami warning.

    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first earthquake experiences and a few large ones since have been unnerving, but over time I’ve adapted.

      Delete
  3. It just seems to be piling on doesn't it? I was shocked to hear about the quake. Like Covid, fires and foul air weren't enough to deal with. Then there are those in areas with winds and flooding. Sheesh. A positive attitude really takes work these days but it is worth the effort. Hang in there and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every area of the country seems to have something sooner or later. Tornadoes are the bane of my existence which are rate here.

      Delete
  4. This morning, in Tucson, we saw clouds for the first time in weeks. And then the smoke moved in and again the sky is gray and Twin Peaks faded with the haze. I just wish rains would hit Southern California and that of the rest of us. Tragic fires.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expect you’re getting some of the smoke from here but know AZ is a tinderbox for wildfires, too. I, too, wish we’d get some rains and you would, too, but we’ve been told we’ll likely be dry this winter.

      Delete
    2. It had the fires in June. For us, it's about lightning with no rain. Hopefully, it won't come before it all cools down. I worry more about Oregon. What happened to Talent and Phoenix was so sad. :( And, it's not over.

      Delete
  5. All of this sustained stress is compromising our wellness. And as more and more negative events pile on, the feelings of hopelessness do too. It's important to find ways to feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeez, earthquakes on top of wildfires and the pandemic - life gets a little crazy! The British government has just announced a range of new anti-covid measures in response to a growing second wave of infections. Whether they're enough to halt the second wave remains to be seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the second wave in G.B. is thwarted. I'm not sure we're even out of the first wave here. It's been so long since we've had rain and none is predicted for the immediate months in our future, we might add drought to the list of disasters with which we're coping. Do stay safe!

      Delete
  7. My sister-in-law lives in California and says they're getting the ash from the fires and the earthquake jolt was frightening. There's just too much happening right now and if things don't turn around on November 3rd... I'm really afraid of what's going to happen. And yes, definitely. We'll get our vote in early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Hawaii faces its own challenges at times from storms, also tsunami potential as a cousin was part of those who monitored for tsunamis for years. Hope your islands continue to be safe.

      Your SIL must be closer to the fire than I am in northeast L.A.County as we've been spared ash and residents closer to epicenter would feel a stronger quake jolt. Glad they're safe. Recent pronouncements sound like no matter the election results there may be serious complications trying to correct damage that's being done.

      Delete