Sunday, July 11, 2021

ROBOTS BENEFIT ELDERS LIVING IN PLACE, HEALTH CARE?

LIVNG IN PLACE, independently, alone, after my husband's death, then retiring years later, resulted in changes that prompted necessary adaptations in my life coinciding with my aging.  As I've written here earlier, I've  gradually become aware daily activities that once were incidental in the scheme of living are increasingly taking more time, and effort.  I've realized some assistance from others is becoming necessary to maintain my lifestyle, living in my home with no family locally to assist me.  

Preparation for those occasions when I might not be able to take care of my basic needs including when I become ill have required some pre-planning.   All other times, ordinary routine shopping at a store, cooking and cleaning, even driving my car, have necessitated I plan ahead but they took on unexpected importance when the pandemic emerged.  I've benefited from the increased availability of pickups, deliveries, ordering online, even occasional aid from kind-hearted young neighbors.    On the other hand, I've been reticent about hiring help to come into my home lest they expose me to the virus.

I've continued to pay attention to any services that are becoming available or are expected in the future that could enhance my being able to remain in my home through this final stage of my life.  More and more older people have indicated, just as I am doing,  they prefer living in place in their residences to moving into facility groupings for older people such as nursing homes, retirement communities, other type senior residences.  

Our U.S. government has not taken action to adjust our health care system financing to enable more older people to remain in their homes rather than have to go into a facility to receive needed care.  I think this should be a health care goal in how to care for our older population for those who choose doing so, but one that is unlikely to occur in my lifetime.   Nevertheless, I continue to note there are some efforts being made to find ways to help older people to live independently and safely in their homes.  Moving, relocation from familiar surroundings can be health complicating factors for elders.

NOTE: (Added after original publishing).     Reports are that costs are less for elders cared for in their residences than if they're cared for in facilities as currently occurs.

We're told our nation is having an increasing need for more doctors, nurses, caregivers and general health care workers whether older people are in hospitals, other facilities, or living in their residences.  There has been some expansion of virtual care since the pandemic but where does all the extra help needed come from?  

One such proposed source being explored are robots.  Research and prototype robots have been created with ongoing improvements being developed.  Recent years I've been intrigued by numerous news stories, videos that have shown us some of the robots, their increasing skills and capabilities, older people interacting with them and creators design plans.  

Click on this recent Orange County Register newspaper article an elder friend sent me titled "6 Robot Helpers Used for Health Services, Eldercare and Social Support".   These are some of the robots mentioned with links here to their sites:  Elli-Q, Care-O-Bot, Qoobo, Lovot, Paro, Tombot.   Do you favor one of these robots?

Some additional videos that give a glimpse of robot efforts such as this one, Rudy, designed to offer "... care and companionship to seniors" as he engages in conversation.  (This PBS News Hour video with Judy Woodruff is 4:03 minutes duration.)   

Then, there is the robot with AI, Mabu, involved in your health care and Jimmy.                   (5:55 mins. duration) 


Time magazine offered a video of robots working in health care:  (1:34 mins. duration).         


Researcher Thomas Bock's TEDxTUM talk presentation describes his vision of the future of robots in medical care.  (17:51 mins. duration) 


I think robots offer some potential benefits for elders as these machines are refined in the future.  I have reservations about how much I want them involved in my health care.  I do know some robots are now being used in select surgical procedures such as hip replacement which some elders need.  Further examination of robotic surgeries viability will be of interest as they become more prevalent.  Some reports have said the robots are more surgically proficient than their human counterparts.

I don't perceive wanting to interact socially, or converse with robots other than for the simple novelty the exercise might provide.  Dancing with a robot doesn't appeal to me; singing, maybe.  I become easily frustrated communicating with recorded messages on my phone since they often inadequately provide options appropriate for addressing my reason for calling; as often also occurs with limited contact choices offered by many businesses on the internet. 

I don't desire a robot pet whose reactions would soon become very repetitive and predictable,  Perhaps some elders needing to relieve their loneliness might react differently to robot pets as they do to toy stuffed animals.  I can appreciate some individuals with dementia could enjoy a robot but for others trying to maintain their reality orientation they could be problematic.  

What do you think about the use of robots in our health care, social lives, or what could robots provide that would be most useful as you become or are a senior/elder? 

17 comments:

  1. If robots allow people to continue to live in their own homes it is a fine idea. After all, robots do so much industrially these days, why not orient the technology to helping people in their every day lives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a sad commentary on humanity that we have come to this stage. My own situation is vastly different from yours because I live with my son and daughter in love and do not worry about having to be cared for by robots but, do relate to your concern as we do have similarly placed individuals here too.

    In a recent conversation that I had with one of them, she insisted that she would rather die at home than go into a home for the aged and after reading your post I talked to her again about being cared for by robots and her reaction was almost violent.

    I most certainly would not like to depend on a robot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting reaction. Perhaps it would depend on what a robot did whether some might find a robot and acceptable helper.

      Delete
  3. I am definitely open to it especially if it can clean, do windows and cook. I do have a robot vacuum cleaner that does a so so job. I actually enjoy watching its random movements. Besides getting the pet hair, it is entertaining.
    I think there is a good market though for such elder helpers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve seen the robot vacuum atvwirk and think they could be quite helpful. I, too, like the idea of a robot that could take over some of those mundane tasks as you mention.

      Delete
  4. Great post Joared, I linked your links to my SOS group on Facebook. all needs to be explored in our desires to age and die in place rather than those sometimes terrifying "care" homes which have caused so many deaths here in Canada. Not sure about the US stats on that.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U.S. stats on individuals in care homes lost to the virus were high, too. They were among the first prioritized to receive vaccines once they were available.

      Delete
  5. Robots seem to be very useful for technical procedures like surgery, but I can't see them replacing human beings for personal care and attention. Personal care is a very individual thing requiring a level of sensitivity and intelligence and flexibility that a robot, however advanced, could never carry out adequately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m inclined to agree with you, but some of the advances they’re making with AI, including emotion sensitivity, have me wondering what some robots will be assigned to do.

      Delete
  6. To be honest this makes me even more aware of how important a sense of humor is as we age. I guess competent care is the hope but nothing can top a sincere human hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, there is no substitute for the human touch.

      Delete
  7. I can't imagine wanting a robot but do see that more help will be needed as I age. One good thing with the pandemic was home delivery being so much more available. I've also seen how the car services to get places could be important. I just got my driver's license renewed until 2029 but don't drive much even now as I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve had a few occasions since I’ve been alone when I thought it might not be wise for me to drive, so I was glad our community offers inexpensive rides for elders. Of course, now there is Lyft and Uber in addition to our usual taxis though I’ve never used those services other than taxis in the past. Meanwhile, I continue to drive, too. I’ve always enjoyed driving.

      Delete
  8. I cannot see wanting a robot either, but my husband loves the idea. We’ll see.

    I deliver Meals on Wheels to home bound elders here, and I get a tiny glimpse into the lives of people living at home. I have had a couple of friends met that way, who have eventually had to move into elder communities, and they hoped it would mean more socialization and so on, but neither of them liked it. I think your idea of staying in your home as long as possible is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living in place in my home is challenging but has benefited from advance planning which I highly recommend to anyone considering doing so. There can be so many unexpected events and situations that best be recognized will require adaptations, so may not be best for all older people.. I provided therapy services in numerous medical settings including elder communities so can appreciate they are not for everybody and they weren't my first choice. To date I have no regrets about this choice I’ve made.

      Delete