Sunday, October 31, 2021

BLOGAVERSARY 15th -- THANK YOU

Blogaversary -- my 15th on October 24th  -- Where have all the years gone?

I want to tell all of you how much I've come to appreciate getting to know you, along the way.   As I've aged, I've mentioned in recent years how my once large family and wide number of friends here and across the country have been, surprisingly to me, dying in significantly increasing numbers.   How very inconsiderate of them -- a thought with which most of them if still able would laughingly agree!

Never in my wildest imagination did I ever anticipate I would be deprived  of the presence of so many in my life as has occurred with contemporaries and especially those younger than me.  Somehow, though I knew differently on some level, I expected in my old age that most people in my life for whom I cared would be around at least as long as I was, especially my husband, or probably even longer.

After my husband died, I finally was able to begin participating more in some local interest groups to possibly form new friends filling the gap left by the death of the many friends I had acquired in moves about our country through the years.   I was surprised to discover new social relationships did not evolve as readily as they had in my earlier years.  Given the shortened remaining time in our lives can challenge building relationships.  That said, I recall one older long gone friend once told me, there are no friends like old friends.  

This proved to be true for socialization with any participants beyond the monthly meeting times of groups I joined, such as Night Writers, which ended several years ago.  Then, as the years passed, most aging members, even much younger ones, began moving away, or had to devote more time to their loved one's needs, with a few developing serious medical issues, others dying.

In another example, some book club members I learned were caregivers of a spouse or another, and this outing was their only respite time, a situation with which I could identify.  Others hardly had enough time and energy to sustain involvement with local family members, old long time friends, or those new ones they were developing in their nearby retirement community, so they regretted inability to predictably incorporate new people from outside their world into their lives.  Couples circulated almost exclusively with other couples.  All of this is understandable.  I discovered other bloggers reports of encountering similar situations where they lived, thwarting their efforts to form a new local social network.

When I stopped my part time work at age 79, after a couple years some unexpected complications aging can bring began gradually slowing my activities, surprisingly to me at what I thought was my young age.  Had I anticipated this I would have retired sooner, but life is unpredictable.  Of course, like all of you, the pandemic has impacted my life, altering my situation somewhat more and my further socialization efforts as I continue living in place in my home.

Blogging, when I began,  I had perceived from others was believed to offer a multitude of untapped benefits to many including opening the world to older people via the Internet, as well as providing an opportunity to participate in a community, especially for those who live alone or might not have family close by. This was a concept with which I agreed, though not necessarily thinking of blogging being that important to me at the time.  

Little did I anticipate or realize that blogging would, in the years ahead for me, become much more significant in my social life.  So, I genuinely and sincerely offer an inadequate "thank you", to every one of you for writing your entertaining, often informative, occasionally humorous blogs, taking the time to comment on my own conglomeration of thoughts, and offering the blogger community virtual friendship we all enjoy.

On to the current world in which I live .....

I had my annual medical examination with my doctor concluding I was still alive -- just as I thought.   I received this year's protective flu injection.  The end of this coming week I'll be the recipient of the Pfizer Booster jab in my other arm.  Then, I'll be all shot up for however long all that lasts!  ha

If you saw news reports or read about the "Bomb Cyclone and 'Atmospheric River'" lambasting California last week, that rain and storm was elsewhere, not where I live, just below SoCal's foothills.  I did observe we received only a very limited, meager, dripping-off-my-house's-roof amount of rain.

Now, we actually have summer again for a few days with temperatures pushing into the eighties, to be followed soon by cooling into the seventies.  There's even a hint (10% chance) of moisture for several days which will do little or nothing to lessen drought in our area, if the rain really arrives.

Never fear, I believe fall is still trying to come on the scene!  A favorite song of mine seems appropriate here as I think of fall, my favorite season -- the spectacular colors of changing leaves from Aspens golden yellows to Maples rich rusts and deep reds, plus color variations from other trees and shrubs most observable at higher elevations than my own and more profoundly in other parts of our country where I once lived.  

There was that memorable overwhelmingly colorful fall driving trip my husband and I made up the eastern Atlantic coast through states including New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, into Niagara Falls and Canada.   This was my husband's birthday month as well as my own and others in my family.   

I'm also reminded of Eva Cassidy whose vocal talents were just becoming recognized when she died much too early in her young life.

Autumn Leaves (official video) 

 Eva Cassidy & the London Symphony Orchestra

https://lnk.to/evacassidy.      https://blix-street.lnk.to/AutumnLeaves

Then there were fall memories after our family was started, taking our children to a pumpkin patch at what was predominately a nut farm the rest of the year, near what was then called the San Diego Zoo Wild Animal Park, to make their selections for later carving.  One pumpkin's flesh I made into a family favored pumpkin pie.  

Many years later after I became a widow, fall trips to Michigan included visits to a cider farm reminding me of when as a young girl in Ohio we had an apple press from which we made our own cider a couple years. 

Another year in Michigan, when my grandson was younger we had come full circle with a trip to a pumpkin farm that included more cider and a challenging walk through a corn stalk maze.  

And then there's Halloween's ghosts and goblins along with the distributing and gathering of all those goodies!

Perhaps fall has special memories for you, too, and blogging has made your life more enjoyable. 

Thanks again to one an all bloggers and especially those I've come to know here! 

19 comments:

  1. Happy Blogaversary, Joared! I'm guessing that I found your blog via Sabine's blog. I'm a fairly new reader but have been blogging for almost as long as you have and am grateful for all you bring to your writing here, your gravity and your levity! Fall does have special memories for me, too, and blogging has opened the world to me in a way that I never could have imagined. I started my blog in December 2006 on the anniversary of the troubling day that the man I loved returned from Vietnam in 1970. A wise older woman had suggested that I do something entirely different on that day instead of reliving the traumatic past as I had for the previous 36 years.

    It is good to know that you are enjoying these beautiful fall days! Until 2008, I always returned to California in the fall and have 34 years of memories of those splendid trips. I hope to visit the state of my birth, childhood, and young adulthood again someday. Although my limited income and aging make that seem less and less likely, I have hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand how you must feel about returning for a visit to California. In 2006 when I returned to Ohio for the celebration of my husband's life, I was able to make quick trips unexpectedly with an old friend, now deceased, to my birth city and another town where I had returned to live for a few years after an absence living in the South for a period of time. I also had a tour of some other significant to me places in the city where I lived and met my husband, as well as having a tour of that Capital city's major areas another dear friend who later developed Alzheimer's provided. My last contact with her a few years after that visit had been a phone call she abruptly interrupted and we ended when she said she heard one of her son's arriving. I expected later contact that never happened despite my calls and letters. Several more years passed before I learned from the daughter of another friend who had phoned to tell me of her mother's death that she had heard my other friend reportedly had that disease, likely had ultimately been institutionalized in a near to where she had lived religious care facility with which she had been most familiar. In all those years I had been unable to reach her children and our mutual friends had died earlier. A few more years passed and I found her name in the obituaries on the internet.

      I'm glad you found blogging and the internet but wish there had not been the circumstances as you mentioned I wish you could somehow visit California once again - perhaps one day.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations. It has been a pleasure being your blogger friend and I can relate to some of your observations as I too have benefited from blogging after my wife died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging has benefited you, too, I'm glad to read.

      Delete
  3. Happy 15th Anniversary to your blog. It goes quickly, doesn't it?

    Time does seem to speed up as the years go by, a warning I was given when I was much younger. Too true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time flies when you're having fun as the cliche goes. I was told the same as you, but until you actually live it, I don't think most of us ever fully appreciate what seems to occur.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your blogaversary. Time does fly doesn't it. I'm coming up on 12 years. Only New Years Resolution I ever kept:) I feel the same about blogging. While I joined several clubs when I moved here, attrition and Covid have all but erased the meetings but blog buddies seem to thrive. I am grateful for this forum.
    I was wondering if you got any drought relief and sorry it hasn't happened yet. Hope soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, someone who kept a New Years Resolution! Perhaps if and when this pandemic ends your clubs, or some of them, will be rejuvenated.

      Delete
  5. Well, thank you for your blog soooo much. Over the last five years, I've been delighted to find "bloggers." That has opened up my life and I consider myself very fortunate to have found them. I'm going to be 82 mid-November and have just fought another bout with cancer successfully. I live in the country and am a distance away from adult children. Some of my longest and very special friends have died. I agree it's difficult to make new friends but I'm now enjoying being somewhat of a homebody. Reading and at times commenting gives me a lift because they are mostly seniors. I'm fortunate enough to have a very good neighbor who offers to help if need be. My husband has macular degeneration, AFIB, etc., etc. I'm the driver. He can't be left at home alone. You can imagine this past few years of running around to testing and procedures has exhausted both of us. But...here I am back and fit as can be enjoying what feels like the perfect "community" for me. I'm grateful to all the people I read and happy they were brave enough to step up and take on blogging. I laugh every morning whilst drinking my one cup of coffee. Hats off to you and all the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on successfully beating cancer and again, no less! I can appreciate your situation, including your husband's vision issues as my mother had such issues also. Being a caregiver can take a toll, so do what you can to take good care of yourself as well as your husband -- and each other. I, too, benefit from laughter's medicine.

      Delete
  6. I wonder if there was some volunteer activity that might help give you a sense of purpose. It will be like other things in that you probably don't make new friends, but it might make you feel more significant. My husband and I do much together and he does much alone. Wondering how all that will be in the coming years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy my retired respite from caring for others, first my mother, and my husband, then the nature of my professional work providing rehabilitation to primarily adults with all sorts of medical issues, but mostly older people as the years progressed, leave me welcoming having little obligation to others than my few distant living family members and myself. I don't lack for a sense of purpose, but appreciate your thoughtful suggestion.

      Volunteer work can, indeed, be very beneficial to one's health, but not always so for some. My husband and I functioned much as you describe though in his later years he did less and less alone. Do make the most of this time you have together as reading and enjoying your photos on your two blogs tells me you do.

      Delete
  7. Please note blog policy requires all comments content must be in English and cannot contain links that may well be seeking free advertising or promotions not accepted here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 15th Blogaversary, Joared. I'm so happy to have you in my retirement life too. I am also losing friends and relatives who I thought certainly would live longer than me. It's hard. It's been even harder now with COVID limiting our contacts with outside friends. I'm hoping for things to improve soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay. We can expect to lose family members and friends the longer we live, I know, but when this actually occurs, and with increasing frequency, somehow the impact seems to become more real -- at least for me. While my family was fairly large, it was not as large as that of many. Succeeding generations seem to have fewer children i.e. from seven, then to two, one, or none. Also, some families seem to maintain connections with extended members, such as distant cousins several times removed, more than other families which also can affect the numbers. I can be grateful for the fact that fortunately, none of my family or friends have had the virus as I hope yours haven't either.

      I think of the many holiday greeting cards with notes I used to send having dwindled to so few now. This year I may only write a holiday letter to the very few friends who are left. I, too, hope you are able to have more actual contact with your outside friends if and when this pandemic ends. You and your husband need to make the most of these years together, especially at your young ages, because the years do have a way of flitting by.

      Delete
  9. It's been a pleasure getting to know you Joared. The blog circle has been an unexpected pleasure for me, even though some dear ones have died over the years too. You write succinctly about the loss of old friends, I can't seem to get my head around my losses which were many and devastating.

    Odds are over 70 they just multiply. And old friends are truly the best.

    Happy blogversary to you. May you write with the wind for a very long time.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging has been especially enjoyable because of writers like you sharing about your life, memories, experiences, thoughts, from a country other than my own.— places I once thought I might visit and now I do so, but vicariously via this virtual media.

      Delete
  10. I also got hooked on blogging as my blog took off and attracted a bunch of interesting blogmates. I've been blogging for 14 years now and couldn't imagine giving it up, it's such a valuable part of my life.

    Glad your doctor agrees you're still alive! But sorry about the unexpected medical complications. I'm still fairly fit but who knows for how long?

    That's a wonderful song by Eva Cassidy. As you say, how sad that she died so prematurely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you joined the blogging community as I always enjoy the topics you introduce from your side of the pond. We all age so differently so hope you continue doing well as you are.

      It wasn’t long after I discovered Eva years ago that she learned her time was limited — such a lovely voice. She hadn't received the appreciation earlier that her talents warranted because she sang in such a variety of styles and wouldn't allow recording companies to try to put her in a musically limiting box. Other musicians and singers encounter the same limitations from which they may never break through to gain exposure to a wider audience, content to remain fully valued and popular only in their small area of the world.

      Delete