Sunday, October 17, 2021

FICKLE FALL -- CONFLICTS -- MODIFICATIONS

Fall keeps flirting with Summer as our temperatures alternate between being in the 90s and then dropping 10 to 20 degrees for a day or so.  When will our SoCal seasonal weather stabilize here in the foothills?

^ ^ ^ Life events are erratic for me, too.  On a positive note, I've finally been consistently sleeping each night, so my efforts to realign my metabolic mechanism without resorting to medication or other aids is becoming effective to date.  I'm getting deep sleep, even remembering some dreams, despite at least one interrupting tour each night to survey the bathroom.  

^ ^ ^ On a less positive note, the mechanism on my car's moon roof has become inoperative with diagnostics unduly expensive, plus with the potential of uncertain part(s) needing repair also is not cost effective -- if a motor is needed, they aren't even made any more. 

I don't want a different car presently as this one, intended to last the rest of my life, has plenty of good mileage left and the rest of the car is in very good condition.   Plus, the timing is poor for purchasing another vehicle right now.   Consequently, I have had the slightly opened vent position sealed as-is on my vehicle to prevent any rain's infiltration as we, hopefully, but doubtfully given our drought, enter our rainy season.  Am I being too optimistic?  

^ ^ ^ What really irritates me is another issue -- when credit is due customers, all too often the amount is not automatically given.  After two months of receiving no credit for the week I was without internet service, partly due to my provider's comedy of errors which I described previously HERE, I had to contact the company to request they provide me the credit which was long overdue.   They offered no apology for not having already given me this credit.  I should be able to impose a late charge.   

^ ^ ^ An annual medical appointment I anticipated keeping was rescheduled but not until next year in January.   I guess the doctor figures I won't die between now and then, at least that's how I'll look at it.

^ ^ ^ The final recent aggravation occurred when I contacted a special designated L. A. County phone number that scheduled an appointment at a drive-thru site as I requested to receive my Pfizer booster injection to prevent the Covid infection.  Later, I decided to phone that site directly just to be sure that, in fact, the site was giving drive-thru booster shots.  They were not, only walk-ins.  I can get a walk-in injection at any number of much closer sites.

A pharmacy may have a drive-thru business for prescriptions and other purchases but that does not automatically mean they provide injections as I needed.  I would have expected our County special services number personnel to have realized this, but apparently not, so I'm glad I double-checked.  I'll wait a while longer to see if a drive-thru site(s) is eventually scheduled in my area since I don't feel rushed to get that booster injection.  

I mask when out encountering others, which is infrequently, anyway.  I did forget to put my mask on when JAZZ musicians conversed with me at a distance outside my car where I sat for their patio concert as I've previously described.  We had all been vaccinated.  

^ ^ ^ Oops! The assaults are not over .....  a letter just received today, as I write this, informs me an insurance policy we've had for years through my husband's employer is now terminated.  The Insurance Company could not be rehabilitated so all Cancer Reimbursement Plan Policy/Certificates that company has underwritten are cancelled.  

This policy was to cover some costs ordinary health insurance didn't.  Fortunately, we never needed this insurance.   Now, I hope I never will regret no longer having the coverage.   Apparently, we should remember that in life there are no guarantees all insurance policies will remain in effect, or that we won't need the coverage they offer at some future time for that matter.  (I'll contact my husband's employer from whom he retired to see if they will be offering a replacement policy at reasonable cost.)   

Well, I hope the coming week proves to be go a little more smoothly.  Keep smilin' and laughin' is my motto.

* * *

Aging has had me making adjustments in my home to be more compatible with how my physical activities have changed as I've become older.  Those of us choosing to live in place sometimes find it necessary to  modify our homes in numerous ways.  Some modifications can become necessary to make living not only safer but more comfortable.

Numerous web sites provide lists of recommendations and other suggestions to aid our determining what changes or additions we may need or want to make where we live.  One such site is Assisted Living.org.  For example, one of the most appreciated changes for me has been replacing the commodes in my bathrooms to taller ones.  

One unresolved problem I've encountered is changing light bulbs in ceiling lights.  In the dining area adjacent to my kitchen is a pull-down light over my table which is perfect, allowing me to easily change burned-out light bulbs.  Why not have pull-down lights for those in the ceiling in other rooms?

There are numerous pull-down lights I found in my web search but most are much too fancy as is their price, and that of even the few more appropriately plain ones given they're all considered vintage.  There were no pull-down lights revealed that I find acceptably appropriate for bedrooms which is what I need.

I did find a rather plain, simple light, with a frosted glass square having curled corners similar to what I have, that softens or mutes the two bare light bulbs above.  This light fixture would be ideal if only it was pull-down.  I've inquired of one light distributor whether or not such a light pull-down adaptation could be made by the manufacturer.

I would think there might be a market for such a pull-down light to others besides me.  This pull-down light could be what older people living in place need in order to change light bulbs safely --  no standing shakily on the bed if you're tall enough as I anxiously watched my husband once do,  or climbing on ladders,  having to ask a friend, or hiring a handyman when bulbs burn out, especially important for those who live alone.  Granted we have longer-lasting light bulbs now but they, too, ultimately burn out and need to be replaced.

Could numerous others use pull-down ceiling lights?

Do you ever encounter challenges having to pursue getting credit to which you're entitled? 

What modifications have you found to be beneficial or some you need to make to be safe and comfortable where you live?   





18 comments:

  1. Our media has announced that our long overdue departure of the monsoon has started and we have had two days of sunlight and no rain. We should shortly be hitting our winter once the Diwali festival is over.

    I have added holding bars and a revolving stool in my shower. I have also ensured that I have something to hold on to at many places while I navigate within our home.

    I have also decided not to accept invitations to functions, receptions etc which will entail my having to leave my home and face crowds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you’ve adapted well to making your environment safe. I agree with your approach to avoiding crowds.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for bringing up these thoughts regarding living alone as one ages. Having no children, I will need to depend on younger friends and perhaps community volunteers in ways that had not occurred to me. I have just turned 72 and am in good health. It is dawning on me that 10 years from now or sooner, I may well need help with light bulbs.

    In the past month, I purchased non-slip bathmats for the floors in my bathroom and narrow kitchen area. For reasons I could not figure out, they suddenly became extremely slippery when I was wearing socks, resulting in several near falls. Except for those two areas, my tiny condo is carpeted. In the past year, I purchased a non-slip mat for my bathtub/shower. My balance is not what it used to be. I can see how easily a fall could happen, despite a lifetime yoga practice and regular balance exercises.

    In the winter, I always put on Yaktrax so that I don't slip and fall outside when conditions are icy here in the coastal Pacific Northwest.

    It is good to hear that you are sleeping well and dreaming, too. For the most part, I sleep well. This past month has brought more dreams than usual. I keep a dream journal.

    I, too, have what I consider my last car. The pandemic has helped me to realize that I don't need to drive every day. I am spending far less money on gas and maintenance.

    Having receiving the Moderna vaccine, I'm still waiting for a booster to be available.

    Thank you for your thoughtful posts, Joared. And for your ability to laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you are wisely taking preventative measures indoors and outdoors for icy conditions.

      Delete
  3. Telecom/internet providers are notorious for being poor at customer service. Chasing them down and being persistent is the only way. This is the same for large health providers, too. They're not going to make as big an effort to give you back your money as they do to get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont think they made any effort at all to refund for my internet outage. Sad commentary on any business.

      Delete
  4. I am delighted with raised toilet seats. I got a riser from Walmart with arm rests that is perfect, easy to install but be sure to get nylon bolts for the metal ones they give you rust in place and you will need a handy man to remove them. I am so use to it that when I use a public toilet, I feel like I am crashing to the floor and it is a struggle to stand back up:) Pull down lights sound really handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your riser with arm rests is something I’ve considered — good to know about the need for nylon bolts. You’d think those would be provided to begin with.

      I don't know how many people have ceiling lights but I would think quite a few and everybody is going to get older if they live long enough.

      Delete
  5. Hi! I love my old car too! Check with RockAuto.com to see if they have your car's parts. It's not an easy website to use, but they've had wonderful replacement parts for a lot less than dealers or Advanced Auto type stores. I've purchased the outside mirror and headlights from them, and many other items. ('97 Saturn wagon with over 200,000 miles.)
    Anyone over 50 shouldn't be on a ladder trying to change overhead light bulbs. The balancing system in our ears and heads doesn't work like when we were youngsters riding rollercoasters. I make a list of bulbs or things I'd like my son to do. When he pops over, he usually gets through my list in 15-30 minutes.
    Plan ahead before you need some safety items. Get good grab bars for getting in and out of your tub/shower area. The ones at medical supply stores are of better quality than elsewhere. Get the ones with etching in the metal. That way, your soapy hand can still hold on it. I have 2 steps into my shower stall. I have one on each side of the entry in order to make sure I don't fall.
    A small shower stool is nice for sitting in order to wash your feet. If you have the room, one with a back and removeable armrest is good. I have a tiny one with a spinning seat to stay safe.
    Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, diagnosing specific issue(s) to even determine problem(s) is not viable since so much interior removable required to even access area as recommended per two consults -- my independent servicer, also dealer -- too many complicated possibilities, including more than one issue. Even if motor is one of several issues, motor is not available at site you suggested either, but thanks. (Note: I made an exception allowing mention of commercial business site in this instance as blog policy usually does not permit doing so.)

      Glad you have son to help with tasks but not everyone has family, friends or others available to assist and must hire help. Wise to plan ahead preparing home before accidents happen with your suggestions, including the aid for soapy hand gripping. Checking out a shower chair and/or stool with a rotating or swivel seat as you describe could certainly add to safety aids to be considered.

      Delete
  6. I see our long-term care insurance has increased dramatically in cost but they did provide a rather extensive cut in the payments of we took a much smaller payout when needed! There are no guarantees except that those who make money will not protect you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll keep making money but you may not benefit as much. Sorry to hear your LTC insurance rates have gone up which can be a problem with those policies.

      Delete
  7. Modifications: Stair lifts on both sets of stairs. Took up all scatter rugs, new toilets, raised my chair, and hand grab bars at the top and bottom of both sets of stairs and in the bathrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you've made some really good modifications. I don't have stairs, just one step in or out of my home as eliminated another entry way step years ago when my husband was still living. My recliner could wisely be replaced due to its age and condition and have thought about a chair with a lift. I have no scatter rugs in use.

      Delete
  8. Well, this is all very informative. I've never seen moon roofs in the UK, only sun roofs. Sun roofs can be a problem if they start to leak, and like moon roofs repairs can be very expensive.

    Likewise, I've never heard of pull-down lights. They sound very helpful for elderly householders who find it hard to access ceiling lights.

    Covid booster shots aren't widely available yet in Northern Ireland. So far only care home residents and staff have had the booster. I'll arrange one as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've read the differences between moon and sun roofs in newer cars today are mostly indiscernible with blended features which is what I think my car has. It's in a slightly tilted open position now which even the dealer has been unable to close permanently, unfortunately. When operative other positions were to just slide a panel allowing the sun or moon to be visible through the glass or to slide that area completely open.

      A few pull-down lights are available but not as prevalent as they once were and all too fancy. I would like some designed much more simply and inexpensive -- more appropriate for a bedroom.

      Delete
  9. One of the important things we did was to put grab bars in the shower/bath stalls. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with so many challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grab bars can be important, especially as you get older. As for my challenges, I view them as just part of life and keeps life interesting successfully dealing with them.

      Delete