Thursday, October 15, 2009

Climate Change - Blog Action Day

This is Blog Action Day! Addressing the very serious topic of climate change in a superb informative colorful concise photo and link-filled article is the writer at "Darlene's Hodgepodge."

I strongly urge readers to click on the link above and acquaint yourselves with the myriad issues facing our world today -- not to be discouraged, depressed or frightened, but to discern what each of us in our own small way can do to mitigate some of the effects. We can choose ways in which to adapt our own lives as we adjust to these climate changes.

We feel these changes in California as we cope with drought. Our city and water company have instituted some voluntary conservation measures. These consist of determining a typical range of water usage for various size households. Water rate charges will be broken down into increasingly larger amounts with pricing accordingly. Watering restrictions for our yards, washing autos continues to be voluntary but likely those will begin to become more specified and limiting. Soon dollar penalties and fines will likely be administered.

I am in the process of converting part of my yard to drought resistant plants, eliminating some grass in this normally desert-like area of Southern California.
I will write more about this in the future.

I am enthusiastic about learning better ways in which to adapt to our environment and determining how to best preserve for future generations this spectacular planet on which we are privileged to live. I hope you are, too.

4 comments:

  1. Jo Ann - you are such a sweetheart. Thank you for your lovely comment.

    I assure you, it's a mutual admiration society.

    With the exception of 3 small Forsythia bushes my yard is completely drought resistant plants. It saves on the water bill, too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joann, Visiting today because your comment at TGB about retirement sloth was powerful. You have written about this before yet it's clear there is more on your mind about giving the self permission to simply "be" as we age. Your honesty blew me away!

    Climate control is, of course, a very important issue but one that I have put aside. Fortunate for you there's a way to address it in your garden but it would be another issue that frustrates me in its intractability.

    One of my goals since moving into what I describe as "my last compost pile," is to figure out which causes will frustrate me least or are closest to my own life. Lately one of these is encouraging older people to support public education...thanks for the chance to think about this--and many good wishes on your current efforts to exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Joared!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for phasing out the grass in your yard! Desert landscaping is very restful.

    ReplyDelete