Sunday, June 12, 2022

POTPOURRI SO-CAL -- JAN. 6th -- SARCASM

Planning how I can landscape my front yard to adapt to the mandated water allocations outdoor watering restrictions due to our SoCal drought (described in my previous post) occupies my thoughts.   Other matters do not go unnoticed.  

Gasoline price regularly -- every night -- goes up overnight here in SoCal -- anywhere from 1 cent to 5 cents a gallon.  We're well over $6 a gallon and going up every day.  Is gasoline going up in price like this where you live?

Toilet Paper -- I've noticed for some time when I put the new tissue roll on my holder how it seems to slide back and forth further and further.  I took a closer look the other day, pushing the new tissue roll clear to one side.  There was a whole inch of open space on the opposite side.  I remember when I used to put a new tissue roll on the roller and the tissue filled the whole roller side to side.  So, the tissue rolls are skinnier now then they used to be for ..... I don't know how long that's been the case.  The tissue is diminishing in size., I guess.    Is each perforated tissue section still a square or a rectangle, instead of being the square now, too -- I didn't check that tissue width dimension --- are there also fewer sections?

Apparently, a lot of products are getting smaller in various ways to allow for the producer's increased costs as a way to avoid raising the item's price to consumers.  Is it greedy profiteering or should we be pleased, given inflation's impact, that they're trying to keep customer's costs down with this adjustment?

Have you noticed changes in sizes, quantities of any products you use, and what about the cost of that gasoline.....?                                                                         *                            *                                *

The United States has been hosting the Ninth Summit of the Americas in Los Angeles with a theme "Building a Sustainable, Resilient, and Equitable Future" for our hemisphere.  The summit brings together the heads of government for North America, Central AmericaSouth America and the Caribbean.

We certainly could benefit from positive relationships with all our neighbors including Canada on this continent.  Cuba, Venezuela, Nicaragua were not invited.  This met with disapproval by some other nation's leaders including Mexico's President who did not attend in protest though an official representative was present.   Northern Triangle countries of El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and several other nations were also absent.

Some Summit achievements:  in "...the Los Angeles Declaration a nonbinding migration blueprint established legal pathways to enter the countries and set new parameters around aid".  Politico also reports: "The Biden administration has committed to a three-fold increase in resettling 20,000 refugees from the Americas over the next year.  Other pacts revolved around addressing climate change and driving clean energy, advancing food security, mobilizing new investments in the region and incentivizing increased trade, though they lacked major funding and many specifics."

I hope we're able to create a feeling of goodwill with all and Latin American countries strive to make their homeland more invitingly livable for their citizens.  Most would like to stay home and not trek to our borders seeking to immigrate.  Usually those with autocratic forms of government/dictators typically don't place a priority on what their citizens need.  Surely not a form of government we would want in the U.S.    *                     *                      *

Our U.S. citizens need to consider how much survival of our democratic republic depends on our voting to elect to office only those candidates (including judges) dedicated to supporting our form of government.  Our primary election completed recently with only 20% or less voting in our state -- such an important time to weed out unsuitable candidates before a November general election to keep in mind before next time.          *                     *                     *          

Mass shootings continue, I see reported in the news.....  like most of you, I'm impatiently awaiting our legislators to take some action on gun control.  Weapons intended for warfare, as so many mass shooters and others have used seem unlikely to be banned.  I suppose it's necessary for those who want to keep those AK-47s and others readily and easily available for purchase here in the U.S. -- especially for all those eager to engage in seditious activities to overthrow our government, rid us of our oppressive democratic republic so we can enjoy the freedoms of one-person authoritarian dictatorship rule -- she said sarcastically.

I'm sure that would be much better as I look around the world at Putin in Russia, leadership in China, and North Korea.  Or maybe we could have a mix with theocratic leadership like Iran.  Doubtless a touch of return to days of yore like the Taliban offers Afghans would be very foreword thinking, but our Supreme Court may already be working to make that a reality. 

SCOTUS seems to think interpretations of our constitution must not adapt to changes in the world in the centuries since our founders established our nation.  Never mind that the vast majority of American citizens believe otherwise, and I'll bet our forefathers who wrote that constitution would agree.

Mentioning sedition as I was earlier, reminds me of the televised House Committee Hearing I viewed this past week investigating the January 6th U.S. Capitol event.  

Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo. presented this timeline of events leading to the attack on the Capitol in the first hearing June 9th.

Our local Claremont Courier newspaper features a front-page photo taken by freelance photojournalist Amanda Andrade-Rhoades who grew up here, later returned to intern at the Courier.  She covered the January 6th event for the Washington Post where she lives now.  She was included with their staff to be awarded a Pulitzer Prize for their coverage.  (I think the Post must have her Jan. 6th photos as I only saw one on her internet web site; none will be available to appear in this post.)

"Eye of the Storm" photos, and the Courier's Andrew Alonzo's interview with Amanda describing her first-hand experience in the midst all day long of the insurrection notes what every community resident might wisely consider based on what she saw:

"What gets me is that the people who were there, they are not backwater hicks.  They are your neighbors. ... I think it is a big mistake to think our neighbors are incapable of being extremists ... and incapable of attempting to perform a coup at the U.S. Capitol."

(This interview with photos may be available on the Courier website after their June 10th issue is archived should you want to read the entire content.)

Not everyone recognizes the seriousness of what occurred January 6th, if they even paid attention to the events.  One very sensitive sportsperson referred to that Jan. 6th atrocity as a "dustup at the Capitol"  He later apologized, but subsequently was fired from his defensive football coaching job in D.C.  

I remember viewing the actual January real time live TV news coverage of the events and being absolutely horrified at the violence.  (Be forewarned a little more personal sarcasm to follow.)

The worrisome days that followed my seeing those protesting people -- what a relief when I learned they were just vacationers visiting Washington and government offices, very friendly people, who I guess just got a little exuberant in their actions.  "The love I've seen, I've never seen anything like it." our ex-President said.  I could see how those people might have been filled with the spirit of love.  

Sometimes, I guess some people just get so excited when visiting government buildings they like/love, that they have so much energy coursing through their body that they break windows, kick in doors, attack law enforcement officers, are motivated to want to lynch a government leader and shout obscenities.  Doesn't everybody?

Viewing that hearing last week really mind-jolted me back to reality.  They showed so much film coverage that demonstrated to me that what I originally thought I had seen January 6th, I really did see.  Those people weren't being friendly.  They were physically hurting people, some even died.  How could I have doubted what my own eyes had seen and how I perceived what I saw?

How could our former President have misunderstood what happened January 6th?  He was there in the beginning and talked to those people.  Didn't he tell them to go to the Capitol, using words intimating he was going to walk there with them?  Why didn't he go?  Instead, he went to the White House, watching on TV what transpired.  Did he really believe they were all just friendly tourists?   

I'm really concerned that if that's how he interpreted what he saw he either has vision and hearing problems, or he must have slipped a brain cog.  The only other explanation I can think of is that he was lying about what those people were doing.  Surely, our former President wouldn't lie about something like that, would he?

That question prompted me to see what the internet might show about this "lying" business.  I was overwhelmed with so many links documenting the ex-President's lying -- incredibly, over 30,000 lies that the ex-President has been telling from when he assumed office, continuing even after his term expired and now.  Wow!   How could anyone want to be associated with him, much less defend his actions?  This is just all too much to think about presently.

Oh, one other matter ..... Curiously, Rupert Murdoch's Fox TV was the only network that didn't broadcast that hearing.  In fact, Fox didn't even interrupt with commercials for a couple hours or so whatever programming they broadcast.  I guess that's not all too surprising that Fox wouldn't want viewers tempted to be exposed to reality and facts when we consider the problems Fox  News Department/network has had from time to time with reporting accuracy.  

I keep remembering the sight on TV of our ex-President soon after his election meeting in Scotland with Murdoch.  I would think those who profess to be advocates of freedom, individual liberties, and proponents of real truth would have no qualms about their viewers seeing these hearings.  

There are more hearings to come.  The next one, the only one televised in non-prime time, on Monday, June 13th at 10 a.m. ET (that will be 7 a.m. PT where I live).  Check the broadcast time where you live.  You may read the coming hearings schedule with expected content and where you may view them on television or the internet HERE.

24 comments:

  1. Sometimes I think we are living in a novel for surely none of the things that have happened in the past 6 years could be real. But they are and we must take our disgust to the polls. I was stunned that you only had a 20% turn out. We MUST do better or we will pay even more consequences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These recent years have seemed unreal. I think also of all that could have been accomplished -- wasted years with Senate blocks on important legislation for one thing. Those voter totals are alarming given everyone received a ballot, could have filled it out at home and mailed it in but didn't bother. Seems such a small but incredibly important responsibility to make our democratic republic work and preserve our democracy.

      Delete
  2. Some news we can only digest with a good dose of sarcasm. I appreciate your excellent efforts here.
    As for the price of petrol, which is the same as what you call gas, our government on a shaky compromise with the neoliberals introduced a temporary reduction of the energy tax on fuels. The grand idea was to relieve the financial burden on citizens and the economy, as fuel prices had risen considerably as a result of Russia's attack on Ukraine. It worked for about 48 hrs, it then quickly became clear that the tax relief was not being passed on in full to the end customers. Because prices at petrol stations continue to rise, the government is now going to tighten up cartel law so that markets could be intervened in without violating competition law. Basically, a bad outcome for the neoliberals and massive profits for the oil companies. Instead, there is talk about speed limits (a big no no in Germany so far) and driving restrictions, ie on weekends etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting how and why petrol/gas prices are rising in Germany. Our Calif. state government talked of lowering gas taxes but pundits say they didn't because they feared they wouldn't be able to raise them again later. Then state officials have talked about giving residences $400 from reserves but seemed to have bogged down working out the specifics as nothing has happened so far.

      Delete
  3. I got upset reading your post until I remembered the title included the word "SARCASM". How anyone could think that what happened on January 6th was just 'tourists who got a little too excited' blows my mind. How anyone not see the seriousness this planned, attempted coup is beyond me and yet Fox News viewers still seem to be living in an alternate universe.

    I hope it was sarcasm when you suggested we should have a mixture of theocratic leadership along with our democratic. That is exactly what our Founding Fathers didn't want and what the religious factions holding their noses to support Trump have been working towards with the help of FOX News and Rupert Murdoch. Unfortunately the people who need to see the hearings the most will not watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sarcasm was intended to reflect the views of those who live in that alternative universe you mentioned. Given the support from some organized religious groups for the ideas and leaders creating that universe it would seem the potential of them foisting their views on everybody is very real, thus my sarcastic reference to a theocracy -- like Hand Maidens (consider Roe vs Wade issue for one thing.)

      Delete
    2. Got it now...on the second read through. I admire you taking on this topic.

      Delete
    3. I'm glad you clarified with me what I said and would hope any others would do the same if ever any questions arise in their minds about what I mean. I may not always write clearly what I intend to say as a non-professional writer, but I do try.

      I've written in the past my concerns our ex-President, or any others embracing his views, were offering a theocratic autocracy if they replace our democratic republic, no matter if they deny that or what they may call their form of government. Most recently author Margaret Atwood described our nation possibly becoming "...a theocratic dictatorship based on 17th-century NewEngland Puritan religious tenets and jurisprudence." (see my recent May 15th blog post.)

      Delete
  4. Sigh. I cannot add anything to this; you have covered it admirably. The tedious, plodding pace of our government borders on inaction with regard to Jan 6. The Congress is full of those complicit and those who continue to foment more rebellion by promulgating The Big Lie. I'm beyond disgusted and frustrated. What in the hell are we even doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never in my wildest imagination could have believed the GOP could be infested with so many basically anti-democracy people that hold government positions and those voters who keep them in office. Those few who have the courage to try to speak up for right have my respect though I may disagree with them on other issues.

      Delete
  5. Petrol has shot up in price here in the UK also. It was around £1.30 a litre last June and is now around £2 a litre (4½ litres to one gallon so that's around £9 a gallon). But you're only paying around $6 or £5 a gallon! The UK government has made a pathetic cut of 5p a litre in fuel tax, but they're still taking around 83p in tax for every litre of petrol. Lots of frontline workers (health workers, care workers etc) are paying so much for fuel to and from work they're effectively paying to go to work. But the Tory government does virtually nothing to help with the cost of living crisis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You in the UK are paying considerably more than we are in the U.S. but our gas prices are heading upward in your direction. Meanwhile, by comparison I guess we shouldn’t complain.

      Delete
  6. Since I got my car nearly 5 years ago gas has doubled in cost. My bag of apples went from $4.99 to $9.99 just like that. So many are barely surviving. I think with most politics we need to follow the money more. Especially the oil companies, their lobbies and in the USA the NRA and their power over elected officials. Along with banks, etc. I keep saying democracy is another delusion foisted on the majority of voters.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, following the money would reveal much about the increased costs we incur and, probably, much more. Our capitalistic democratic republic is more than a little out of sync as evidenced in the distribution of wealth in our country. This, in turn, affects the centers of power. We have a desperate need to realign all those forces and can anticipate continued problems in our society, government until that occurs. I think the challenge is to make that happen and I wouldn't want to predict when that might be.

      Delete
  7. Given your flitter through Tone Deaf I decided to return the compliment. Especially to track down the provenance (and gender) of Joared and thence to wonder why you seem to have added an o. Not for long, though. I am a stern critic of bloggers who pathetically whimper they have nothing to write about - a possible admission that all is silent in their cerebellum. There is is always something to write about and you've proved a point with your mini-essay on bum paper economics. I'll be back but dinner awaits me and it's shepherd's pie. Not real shepherd y'unnerstand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Joared as I explained here many years ago is a composite of part of my first name with "red" tacked on, reflecting the color of my hair then. Unfortunately, that was the beginning diminishing of my loved by me hair color. Aging has had its way in the years since. There always seems more to write about to me than I probably should address, especially since my desire is to shorten my blog posts. Whether what I write is worthwhile reading by others is quite a different matter, but I feel better having expressed myself. Living alone with few to bounce thoughts off or receive those of others, except primarily through various digital mediums, can alter ones usual mode of communication. Too many friends and family have moved on to the next dimension, a downside to getting older. Hope you enjoyed your shepherd's pie.

      Delete
  8. Hi Joared ...just wanted to let you know that my last blog entry about the 40's and 50's and the Jergen's Lotion way to live was tongue in cheek. I hope others did not think I EVER lived that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I misinterpreted what you wrote about life in the '50s. Those commercials really do represent the fantasy of some ad people and are humorous to view now.

      Delete
  9. Lots to digest in this post. Hope your landscape survives the drought. We in Hawaii don't see many immigrants from Central America. We are so isolated, which might be a good thing. LOL. Gigi Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably your Hawaiian Islands have more than an ample population with little space to add more people.

      Delete
  10. Gas price per gallon is equally high up here. I haven't been able to really stomach listening to the hearings. I still recall watching footage showing one of the Capitol officers purposely leading angry insurrectionists AWAY from where the senators were convening at potentially huge cost to himself. That bit of film made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall seeing that footage, too -- very distressing to see other Americans who profess to believe in law and order being as vicious as those seditious people were.

      Delete
  11. There was supposed to be another viewing today sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Hearing was canceled but there will be one tomorrow, Thursday June 16th at 1 p.m. ET or 10 a.m. P.T. where we are.

      Delete