Sunday, June 05, 2022

WATER ... WHERE? -- SPIRIT FLEDGED

May Gray ... June Gloom ... but no rain.

SPIRIT FLEDGED.....  the Bald Eaglet flew early the morning of May 31st in a video you can view on my previous blog post in case you missed the update.  She continues to return to the nest periodically but will gradually hone more skills, then ultimately fly away to live independently.  

WATER ..... WHERE?

Our persistent drought caused by little rain and meagre mountain snowfall resulting in water reserves depletion has necessitated restricted water use regulations in California.  SoCal where I live the restriction specifics vary from county to county, city to city.  Los Angeles, for example, has a different water company than my city so large swaths there are restricted to watering 2 days a week while further inland we are allowed to water only 1 day a week.

I'm sharing what mandatory water conservation and rationing presently looks like, at least in my city, with details for any who might be interested.  Possibly in years to come water shortages will affect more communities in other states, countries, besides those already affected.  So, you may consider what some of you might experience in the future.  

Our lakes, reservoirs, even mighty rivers like the Colorado feeding southwestern U.S. and northern Mexico have had declining reserves these past several years.  Read how our southern border neighbor Mexico challenged also is coping in this azcentral article HERE.

The U.S. share of the Colorado river waters is divided among four upper basin states (Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico) and three lower basin states (Arizona, Nevada, and California).

The past year, 2021, California had to institute a Stage 1 voluntary 15% water reduction that regrettably wasn't met in too many communities.  My property was allocated to use 2 to 4 gallons less water monthly than I used the previous year.  I haven't reviewed every month's record but think I readily met my allocation, even using less water.

June 1st this year, 2022, our water company conservation plan had to move us into a mandatory Stage 2.   

(I can't help wondering if all those individuals so opposed to government prescribed "mandatory" actions i.e., wearing a mask, getting vaccinated will refuse to cooperate for the good of the community on water conservation, too?)

Here's a summary provided on the City of Claremont's web site:

 Level 2 Water Supply Shortage In Effect

New Outdoor Watering Restrictions Starting June 1, 2022

Days of the week table

Water restrictions table

The next stage -- Stage 3 -- "mandatory" no watering outdoors.  I hope this stage not needed.   

[Water use is most commonly discussed in CCF (centum cubic feet) and gallons].       

 .     .     .Water usage -- 1 CCF  =  748 gallons.

My allocation varies each month.  (20% of my 2020 water usage.)                               

(The result is I am allocated 2 to 4 gallons less in all but one month I've determined.)  

        For example:  I'm allocated 17 CCF for June.                                                                                    (Rest of the year will be between 17-19, one mo. 20 CCF)

          April shows I used 6 CCF; previous month 11 CCF; April prior year 17 CCF.

          My current bill dated 5/23 (only 29 days) shows: I used 11 CCF well under my allocation.

[The yearly differences probably are due to the amount of rain we received allowing me to turn sprinklers off for a day, a week, or however long, or decrease the time water sprinkles in each of my 3 zones in front yard and 3 zones in back yard.  (The 4th zone to my parkway in the front yard I turned off several years ago).  Rain, temperature, and other factors affect how much water is used which is quite variable from year to year.]

There is a $2.50 emergency surcharge per CCF assessment if a customer uses more than their water allocation.

Repetitive water usage above allocation, then ignoring notices to cease will result in expensive installation of devices to decrease water emitted in addition to more expensive dollar fines.

No customers are being asked to reduce their water usage below 8 CCF per month.  Based on an average four-person household, the 8 CCF minimum accounts for daily indoor usage of 50 gallons per person.

[Interestingly, when I researched average at-home water usage I found a wide variation in the estimated gallons used from 60 gallons per person according to Water Footprint Calculator.  The U.S.Geological Survey reports 80-100 gallons average per person.

The Environmental Protection Agency 75 gallons per person based on average family use of 300 gallons per month.  Obviously, individuals' habits determine actual usage.]

Consult the EPA site for much more specific estimates on actual water usage in gallons for various functions, for example like the one item using the most water in households, the toilet -- using 3-4 gallons per flush with older toilets; 1-2 gallons per flush with newer toilets.   

There are indoor water conservation measures encouraged I've followed for many years with my washing machine, dish washer.  We're urged to operate them only when we have full loads which I always did anyway.  

Electric energy savings have been encouraged for some time here in So Cal.  We are urged to not use our electric appliances between 4 p.m. and 9 p.m.   Now, we integrate our water mandates with our voluntary energy conservation measures.  

Fortunately, what could be considered conservation measurers have been common sense behaviors becoming second nature from childhood for me.  They simply continued being almost automatic throughout my adulthood.  Not much was ever wasted, including electricity and water, though I've never had water formally rationed like this before. 

The EPA link features an interesting pie chart of water usage items, also simple instructions for how to determine how much water you use.  

If you receive a water bill, it will provide a monthly CCF total.  Follow the example provided in the EPA link to determine your water usage.

I haven't yet figured out how to water special areas more than once a week since my gardeners who typically cut the grass only come once a week and likely won't need to mow grass that often.  Unfortunately, I'm currently not able to hand water myself and no teens in the area I could hire.  I need to obtain some of the special adapters described.  I had a hose shut off nozzle purchased some years ago but it seems to have grown legs and walked away.  I have a short soaker hose for one tree.  The longer one I had for years disintegrated.   As  you can see I'm not well-prepared for this so have to make time to figure it all out.  

I'm not really interested in incurring the expense of installing a drip irrigation system so I'll have to see what I can conjure.   

I'm concerned about various hedges, bushes, and several trees in my yard.  I hope my one remaining Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow bush I rooted that had grown so wonderfully survives.  The lovely petite white and lavender bloom was spectacular this spring.  I fully intended to photograph the scene beginning years earlier for permanent embedding on my blog given the connection which prompted my blog's name but obviously I've not done so.

Two young city trees in the parkway I'm responsible for watering but I capped the sprinklers to that area several years ago before the city even planted them.  The city did recently announce they will be surveying our city trees and provide extra water for any they deem in need.  "City of Trees" is our town's awarded designation based on the many quite lovely and majestic trees around town.

I'm prepared my grass will likely die.   Unfortunately, I'm no longer able to perform yard work to gradually transition my landscaping.  Years earlier long before any yards in our area had converted their grassy areas I had obtained a landscaping proposal I rejected since the whole approach which also contributed to excessive cost was not what I wanted.  I'll see when fall arrives what growth has survived and consider what is needed.

The climate changes affecting water availability we are experiencing vary within our country and around the world.  Drought, warmer temperatures, vulnerability for forest fires once mostly occurring only a few months a year are now a year 'round concern primarily here and in our western U.S. states.   Other areas of our country's residents do not experience water limitations and, in fact, have an over-abundance with flooding, more fierce storms.  Other countries experience this, too.

What sort of climate changes, if any, have you noticed where you live?  

Has your community had to make any adjustments, or have you had to make any personal adaptations?   

                     



    

24 comments:

  1. Looming shortage of water is a crisis now recognised here too and many initiatives have been taken. Among them, the most effective has been rain water harvesting which needs to be spread more widely than it has been so far. Our ground water needs replenishment and depleting forests have reduced rain fall which is being tackled by reforestation through student movements of tree planting on a wide scale. In cities water is being rationed but, we have a long way to go before we can say that we have solved the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appreciate your comment. Am accepting as Anon. which blog policy usually does not permit due to spammers and trolls. Would be helpful if you could add a web name for I.D. at end of comment each time so I'll know it's you. Am interested in general idea of what part of U.S. or world where you're located.

      Delete
    2. My apologies. This is Ramana Rajgopaul from India.

      Delete
    3. Oh, thanks, Ramana. Makes sense to me now based on what you described is about India.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for bringing Spirit's fledging to my attention. It was a joy to have that glimpse of California from the vantage point of an eagles' nest.

    It is sobering to learn the specific details of your water situation in Claremont. Thank you for your detailed post.

    The water source for our small town in the northwest corner of Washington State is a 14-mile lake that is fed by rapidly disappearing glaciers on a volcano that is 50 miles to the east. We have water restriction here in the summer.

    Although it is raining this morning, we have not had much rain this spring despite many cloudy days. Since 2014, there have been extended periods in August and September when the sky has been filled with smoke from fires in Eastern Washington, British Columbia, Oregon and California. The sun has come up red during those times. The air has been hazardous.

    We've had extreme heat and extreme cold, both of which have stressed our plant life and animal life and human life.

    I live in a condominium and water a few plants on my second-story porch. My water bill is paid through my condo dues and so don't know what my water usage is. I'm going to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your detailed description of what's happening with the climate where you live. I'm surprised to learn how your air has been impacted by so much smoke for so many different areas. Your town's water source sounds precarous.

      Glad you've enjoyed following our Bald Eagles and Spirit. it was decided not to band her since it can be a traumatic experience for the bird, so we won't know where she ultimately goes. She may well venture to Washington as they have a wide flight range from what I've read.

      Delete
  3. Sorry I missed Spriit taking wing. Everytime I checked, she was with one parent--I can't tell them apart.
    So sorry you are having to deal with the water rationing. I have been in enough droughts that I never complain about rain. Hope you all get a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Differentiating the parents is challenging and I'm not very good at it either. I missed the fledging, too, as she did so earlier than I was up and about, so was glad to find the video I added to update. I don't spend a lot of time on the nest site but have lucked out a few times to see both parents present (mother Jackie larger as they say is typical of species). I've also happened on to some interesting interactions between the birds in the nest and when there's been a fish delivery.

      Delete
  4. This is the second blog I've read this morning where water issues was front and center. We take our abundance of water here in the Great Lakes area for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Great Lakes do make water issues seem unlikely there, in terms of having adequate amounts. I've read other matters have presented challenges such as preventing invasive fish species, Also, probably the ever-present guarding against creeks and rivers contamination. Some cities have had to cope with tap water issues due to lead, and Legionnaires disease.

      Delete
  5. Poor California! I send up wishes for rain to come your way every single day. Your drought affects the rest of the US in more ways than many realize.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our farmers are severely affected as is the produce they grow and ship all over the country which impacts consumers, too -- tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. Earlier this year a Washington Post article described the situation which Google quoted with this:

      "According to a UC Merced study conducted for the state, California farmers left nearly 400,000 acres of agricultural land unplanted last year because of a lack of water The result, the study found, was a direct economic cost to farmers of $1.1 billion and the loss of nearly 9,000 agricultural jobs."

      I recall reading recently of a walnut tree orchard uprooted because they required too much water. Almond and avocado trees had low production due to water shortage to name just a few examples of more food items affected.

      Delete
  6. We're even getting some drought conditions where I live in Hawaii. I can't remember when we've had a good rain. It's a problem too, because of the leakage of the Navy fuel tanks into our ground water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised to hear about some drought conditions in Hawaii. Wonder if that's the case for the other islands or just Oahu? Not good for your ground water given those Navy fuel tank leakage issues. Hope that's going to be a problem that gets rectified.

      Delete
  7. I haven't noticed any climate changes in Northern Ireland. Temperatures are much the same (somewhere between 0C and 20C) and there are no water shortages or colossal heatwaves. The latest thing seems to be the huge sandstorms in the Middle East, which are causing a lot of disruption. So far there's not much sign that climate breakdown is being reversed, which is a little scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some areas seem to experience problems more than others, at least so far.

      Delete
  8. Being married to a now retired science teacher with an ever growing curriculum on climate change over the last 20 years, we have been hyper aware of the effects. One of the tasks he would give his students (middle years) at the end of the course was an essay on suggested steps/measurements and I remember one student suggesting we start building under water domed cities in the oceans.
    We have noticed over the years that our seasons are shifting with earlier spring, summer and so on, resulting in leaves dropping way before fall temperatures. Of course, there are drought conditions, incl. fires, but nothing (yet) compared to what you experience. With glaciers rapidly melting in the Alps, we are aware of the coming scenarios to our water supply which to a large extent rests on the Rhine river. In the last decade. we have had almost every summer, very heavy, brief and sudden downpours, causing floods and destruction. And this year, we have had our first ever tornado warning.

    Some efforts by our local authorities have been great and are getting better all the time. Our city, as many others, is implementing the sponge city model, incl. reforestation and improved water harvesting. Our recently elected new governments, state and local, have outlawed coal mining by 2030 and implemented strict building regulations regarding renewable energy, fossil fuel transport (cars running on gas combustion engines etc.) is to be discontinued by 2030/33 etc. We shall see what the effects will be. All in all, it comes too late to stick to the Paris Agreement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all you've noted here. Everywhere seems to be playing catchup when it comes to addressing these climate issues.

      Delete
  9. Hawaii does have problems, too. But, so far there are no mandatory restrictions. Gigi Hawaii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you've not had issues to the point of needing mandatory restrictions.

      Delete
  10. I'm in Denver, literally upstream from you. We usually incur some relatively modest water restrictions before summer is over and I'm always trying to be responsible about water usage. Our governor just signed a bill encouraging xeriscaping in new subdivisions, but it's unlikely existing neighborhoods will abandon lawns in favor of xeriscaping. HOAs won't approve. Another big consideration here now is fire danger if neighborhoods are too dry. Overall, the future doesn't look great for the American West if climate change continues to cause widespread drought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you won't be faced with more strict water restrictions.
      Fire an issue, too, I see, as Calif. experiences. Much demand we're all putting on the Colorado river. Xeriscaping is very prevalent in our community and on my street. That pretty much does away with an area where children or adults, for that matter, can run and play. Some have maintained a small open grassy area but this one day watering may not be enough moisture..

      Delete
  11. Isn't it sad that so many of us have not made changes to our universe earlier? Now catch-up could be too late (or at the very least ...much harder) ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the changes we humans need to make in our environment continue to be resisted by too many.

      Delete