Sunday, October 02, 2022

FIRST DATE -- DISTRESS -- QUIRKY HUMOR

 Republic -- "If you can keep it."  [Democracy]

      Accountability for Jan. 6 insurrection.

U.S. Select House Committee on Jan. 6th Hearings

(A final Sept. Hearing canceled due to Hurricane Ian -- Reschedule TBA)


QUESTION:  Does Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas' wife's persistence in stating our ex-President's lie the 2020 election was stolen from him present questionable issues about her husband's impartiality, need to recuse himself from some Court case considerations? 


Here in sunny Southern California our temperature has dropped by a few degrees with the extreme heat past.  Fall may actually arrive soon though only the calendar says it's here now.  We still lack sufficient rain with no end to our drought in sight.

Florida and other U.S. east coast states have shared in Puerto Rico's Hurricane Ian's disaster-producing weather -- floods, high winds, tornados, destruction, death.   I guess we will be challenged by events such as this, maybe even worse in the years to come due to changes in our earth's climate.  This sort of weather causing disasters prevalent in other parts of the world is no less serious.

West Coast gas exploitation continues here in California.  No more of those one cent, two cents or nickel a gallon raises overnight.  This past week they just socked it to us -- fifteen cents plus not just one night, but fifteen more cents the next night, too.  The third night the raise eased a bit to ten cents, then seven plus cents the next night.  

"Sock It To Me" -- Judy Carne 

Clip from the US TV series "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" (1960s - '70s)

Our Governor has arranged our less expensive winter gas mixture be sold earlier than usual by another week which is expected to result in a twenty-five cents per gallon cost reduction.  He also requests a special windfall tax on oil companies who have made huge profits on gas sales with oil costs expected to decrease.  We could use a little gas pricing stability.  

Humor is where we find it, often with quirky matters triggering my funny bone.  I've always derived lots of laughs from reading posted signs as we drove about locally wherever we lived across this country, also with advertisements in newspapers, brochures.  Not everyone has shared my sometimes-weird sense of humor.

I recall my youth and first date, a blind date at that.  I had reluctantly agreed to this setup by a girl who was only a casual acquaintance, but she had been persistent wearing down my resistance to the idea.  He arrived at my house in a pickup truck in a time when such vehicles were strictly utilitarian on farms -- before becoming culturally popular everywhere in the U.S., including cities.  

My blind date may have felt as I did, nervous, lacking in self-confidence, awkward, uncomfortable -- each of us focused on ourselves and how we were feeling inadequate.  I was shy, especially in 1:1 situations unlike with the boys I grew up with where we lived previously.  I don't recall what verbal efforts were made by either of us to become acquainted.  I just recall the long silence driving into town as he said nothing.

I started reading some funny signs aloud I spotted along the highway into town as he said nothing.  He did not react, say anything, or laugh, even chuckle -- apparently, he did not share my sense of humor.  Or maybe, I wasn't supposed to be the entertainer, but he wasn't entertaining.  I don't recall anything more about that evening, but I don't think it got better for either of us wherever we went or whatever we did -- maybe we went to a movie.  Fortunately, in the years to come my self-confidence improved as my relationships developed, but I don't recall ever going on a blind date again.  

My sources for humor continue to emerge in everyday life, not as many when you live alone, in just about every situation, even some that are quite serious.  Sometimes I laugh so hard I end up crying, and occasionally I've laughed to keep from crying.  Some of my laughter is prompted by matters some people might think weird.  The digital world and the internet have certainly contributed to some laughable events as some of you have probably found, too.

I recently fired off one of my occasional brief instant messages, this time to my daughter -- an observation about a current news report about which I felt compelled to comment.  My daughter responded, "Not in this Pili A1 world would either of those states be ideal".  Reading her observation, I thought, oh dear, some more new terminology younger generations are using, and I don't have the slightest idea what "Pili A1" means.  So, revealing my ignorance of current lingo as I used to know in the days of yore, I asked her, "What does Pili A1 mean?"

I learned later she was puzzled when she read my query, so busily began a Google terminology search for the meaning of "Pili A1" since she didn't know the meaning either.  She came up with nothing specific that made sense.  Then she happened to re-read our previous messages exchange and found "Pili A1" in her's to me.   She could only laugh, she said, as she thought she had typed "political", but Google's automatic word correction had produced "Pili A1".

Google's system often does some curious word creations in messages I've sent confusing or totally altering my message's meaning.   When I read how she had searched Google I started laughing, too.  Now, every time I think about the whole comedy of assumptions and misperceptions we each had made, I start laughing out loud to myself.   Maybe I'm finally cracking up.

18 comments:

  1. Autocorrects can cause not only merriment but, also distress as I have found to my dismay. Since we use the English language mostly to communicate via WhasApp, often Indian words that we use in Roman script get autocorrected to something totally different and cause problems if left unedited before sending off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this comment is from Ramana who forgot to add his name again for a link to his blog listed on my sidebar. I can see how the autocorrects could really be a serious issue in the situations you describe.

      Delete
    2. I apologize Joared. It was indeed me!

      Delete
  2. Now that is funny especially that she Googled the strange grouping of letters. Auto correct has its own sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought, too, that grouping of letters was strange.

      Delete
  3. Yes, Thomas should recuse himself from Court cases involving Trump's refusal to concede the election and all January 6th matters. You can't tell me they'd never discuss it at home or her try to sway him---if he doesn't already secretly drive in the same Conspiracy Lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly is reason to consider the questions you raise. I think all the Justices should avoid actions that could even give the appearance of questionable influence on their behavior. Thomas and his wife go beyond reasonable limits, especially considering the insurrection.

      Delete
  4. We watched a "Laugh In" special from 2019 last night. The clips from the original show were funny, most of the stuff from 2019 not so. Am I getting old?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recall viewing some of the "Laugh-In" shows when they were originally aired 1968 - 1973. Not all their comedy bits were that funny to me but overall the seasons the show was on the air, they did have some real gems that resonated with me at the time. I don't know how well the show has weathered the test of time as I haven't re-played any of the old shows, only seen an occasional bit I might come across on youtube. I don't recall seeing the 2019 anniversary special so maybe you're not getting old and the comedy didn't really come off that good. Some of the approach was different and unusual in the originals which perhaps was part of the attraction then. Subsequent years, others may have integrated similar type deliveries into their acts or series so it became more commonplace and the novelty was gone.

      Delete
  5. I don't know why anyone uses autocorrect. I've turned it off on all my devices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably should do the same, likewise my daughter.

      Delete
  6. I laugh a lot to myself at these outrageous and funny "corrections". A recent one was from Niece who thanked me for a book I "game" her. I responded "I love gaming books" and we kept it going for a while. I still chuckle.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least "game" was an actual word even if the sentence didn't make sense.

      Delete
  7. Autocorrect is a problem with writing a book also where it may not be caught in time. On the blind date-- I never went on one but had some not so positive dates lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Autocorrect with book writing could certainly create a challenge as you may have experienced. Dates of all kinds can be less than desirable for all parties, too, as you note.

      Delete
  8. Like you, I have a weird sense of humour that other people don't always appreciate. Road signs can be hilarious. Like the one in Essex that directs you to the Secret Nuclear Bunker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog's policy does not allow publishing of comments with a link embedded or for blogs whose primary purpose is for commercial promotion.

    ReplyDelete