Sunday, October 16, 2022

OATH -- BETRAYAL -- RAINDROPS -- DEMOCRACY

 Republic -- "If you can keep it."  [Democracy]

     Accountability for Jan. 6 insurrection.

U.S. Select House Committee on Jan. 6th Hearings


QUESTION:   Has the U.S. Select House Committee on Jan. 6th Hearings shown evidence the ex-President Donald John Trump has violated his oath of office to support and defend the Constitution of the United States presenting a clear and present danger to democracy?

President's oath or affirmation "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."


10/13/22 SELECT COMMITTEE HEARING 

Ex- President Donald J. Trump has been subpoenaed to testify before the U.S. Select House Committee on the Jan. 6th Hearings.   Will he be able to find the truth to speak amid his many prevarications?  

BETRAYAL

We might well come away from viewing all these Hearing sessions appalled at how many people in our government have betrayed their oath of office and our democratic republic.

"History of the Oath.      At the start of each new Congress, in January of every odd-numbered year, the entire House of Representatives and one-third of the Senate performs a solemn and festive constitutional rite that is as old as the Republic."

U.S. Govt. form sf61 for all employees:  "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God." 

RAINDROPS KEEP FALLIN' ON MY HEAD by B. J. Thomas

Burt Bacharach and Hal David wrote this song with uplifting lyrics for the 1969 film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.


Fall is teasing us with cool temperatures where I live in SoCal, but summer's heat will return for a few days before the coming week ends.  Rain-promising dark clouds have been hiding the sun most days where I live only to release their much-needed moisture elsewhere.  A sudden loud sharp clap of thunder as I write this has followed a finally left token amount of the wet stuff tonight for which I'm grateful in this drought-ridden state.  

DEMOCRACY -- VOTING

November mid-term election voting has me reviewing my 5 page ballot that consists of federal, state, local municipal candidates and issues.  Likely those of you in the U.S. are voting your own ballots or readying to do so on election day. 

There is so much more at stake dwarfing the focus said to be primary such as inflation, immigration, environment to list a few issues.  Those matters all become secondary to my voting only for those candidates dedicated to preserving our republic's democracy.  They are the leaders I trust most to address our nation's problems with dedication to providing the highest degree of respect for truth and individual freedoms.  Deniers of the 2020 presidential election legitimacy must themselves be denied my vote.


17 comments:

  1. Pretty sure Trump will show up for the TV ratings will be too great for him to pass up. As for truth from him?? I don't think there is a prayer we will hear that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to see if he resists the opportunity for more attention he typically seeks.

      Delete
  2. 45* can't resist attention and a chance to tout ratings for an appearance. I'm conflicted: I don't like giving him any more audience for his twisted rantings, but every time he opens his mouth he incriminates himself and looks more and more unstable and guilty. Tough call.

    He has no intention of ever telling the truth. About anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, have mixed feelings about giving him a public platform given how he pontificates.

      Delete
  3. I wonder if they'd mind a foreigner suggesting a slight modification to the oath, notably the addition of two words to the first sentence. Thus: "... against all enemies, foreign and domestic, INCLUDING MYSELF.

    Just a thought. A bit like closing the barn door after the cow has wandered in front of the tractor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good idea. We probably could learn a lot in other areas from foreigners if more of us listened and observed more carefully.

      Delete
  4. Indeed, it'll be interesting to see if Trump turns up for the January Sixth Hearings. Arkansas Patti may well be right that he'll find the media attention irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ramana Rajgopaul10/18/2022 5:49 AM

    That very popular song is now a ear-worm for me as our monsoon does not seem to end and heavy rains are disrupting normal life where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You receive so much more rain that we do where I live -- I wish we could share a bit of it. Hope you're not experiencing flooding as I've read some areas in India are..

      Delete
  6. He is still walking around a free man. With how many criminal charges and lawsuits? I can never see him in jail and he won't show up for the hearings. I would love if I were wrong. Anyone else of less wealth would be behind bars now. Law for the rich, law for the poor. And he's still campaigning spewing his lies and filth.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joared, I'm sure you know about the outrages of Herschel Walker, but here in Oregon, we have a Republican Congressional candidate named Alex Skarlatos who is arguably worse, yet the MAGA crowd stands solidly behind him. For example, he defends his practice of searching Facebook for photos of underage girls in bikinis, and leaving "likes" on those pages by saying that his critics are "absurd." He joked (during an online podcast interview) about strangling women to death during sex, and said that a man who was found not guilty of murder for doing that very thing, "got off in more ways than one." He said he had to leave his hometown of Roseburg (pop 23,000) to find women to date because: "There's literally two attractive women in my town." This area being Democratic, he tries to hide the fact that he opposes abortion--for any reason--by saying, "I support healthcare for women," and he has used a photo of himself and Obama to fool people into thinking that Obama supports his candidacy (in the 2015 photo, he was being honored by Obama for rescuing people during an attack on a Paris subway). Most of what I just wrote is in the Wikipedia entry about Skarlatos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, Oregon voters will do their homework on this and all candidates before they cast their ballot as he certainly sounds outrageous as you describe him.

      Delete
    2. The kind of people who would vote for Trump after he boated of sexually assaulting women, won't hesitate to vote for a man who joked about strangling women to death. However, much of the area that he is running in is strongly Democratic, so I'm putting my hope in that.

      Delete
  8. I'm not expecting a lick of truth coming out of Trump and I'm doubting he will honor the subpoena.
    We got our ballots in the mail and will work on them carefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth seems to not have a meaning he respects.

      Delete