Sunday, October 23, 2022

KEEPING FREEDOM -- AGEING OVER 90

 Republic -- "If you can keep it."  [Democracy]

      Accountability for Jan. 6 insurrection.

U.S. Select House Committee on Jan 6th Hearings

 Subpoena issued to Donald John Trump to testify.

QUESTION:  Will DJT follow law and order in which he says he believes to tell the truth under oath to the U.S. Select House Committee on Jan. 6th Hearings?


FWIW I've been blogging on other sites less frequently recently, if you've noticed.  This is due to personal issues but I want you to know I still care about each of you.

DEMOCRACY

A nation of freedom-loving people we have plenty about which to be concerned though in my eighty-plus years this is one of the most dangerous ones.   I feel compelled to continue expressing my thoughts since critical U.S. midterm elections are still in process, so be forewarned.   Should you prefer to avoid reading more about these issues, you may prefer to skip directly to AGING PERCEPTIONS below.

Democracy preservation for the United States is of the utmost priority when selecting candidates for whom to vote in this midterm election IMHO.  Given the gravity of the situation I cannot avoid continuing to focus some attention on what is at stake for the survival of our nation as the constitutional republic and democracy with the freedoms our forefathers gave to us, "if you can keep it."

I wanted this blog to be politically nonpartisan when I began in 2006, but am dedicated to upholding our constitutional republic's democracy I have observed being under attack since 2016.  I cannot remain silent since a once respectable political party became subverted into undermining our government by any means possible with lies regarding the results of our election process, even inciting violence in an effort to establish an autocratic system with a one-man ruler. 

Obviously, by the actions of those aligned with the violent instigating political party and even the words of the leader they claim to follow, law and order is not observed or respected and won't be in the future for anyone whose views differ from theirs.

Individual rights and freedoms are being seriously threatened by that party.  Unfortunately, many citizens have and still do take our rights and freedoms for granted, assuming we'll always have them or can easily regain them if taken from us no matter what we do or don't do.  Nothing could be further from the truth as they can be whittled away little by little by various politicized government branches by far too many of that party's candidates such as those recent women's rights were taken away.  

Government office appointments in the future and Congressional action by that party will jeopardize many citizen rights including healthcare, Medicare and Social Security in our richest of all nations -- our U.S. nation that already falls well below the offerings reported in the rankings of other nations in the democratic western world.  

Federal, state, local elections, judges and appointees matter and we the people with our votes can determine what kind of country in which we and future generations live.

I know some of my words resonate with many in the U.S. and some others elsewhere in the world.   I don't presume to know what if any meaningful impact occurs on any U.S. voter with what I write, but I must make the effort on my limited platform.   

AGEING PERCEPTIONS OVER 90

We're fortunate whatever our older age to have individuals who have enriched our lives.   The reality is that the older we become the fewer remain who are still living.   That's certainly been true in my life as I've previously shared here.  Celebrating my recent birthday many memories cross my mind.

I recall with loving thoughts the year my young teen son asked me to stay in the other room because he was going to undertake his first solo baking effort without supervision.  He baked me a birthday cake from scratch which was quite successful when all was said and done -- probably the best cake, commercial or otherwise, I ever had made for me!

There have certainly been other significant family birthday occasions and some with co-workers as well as personal friends.  Often lovely flowers my husband brought with memorable gifts, including unexpectedly unique ones from my daughter.  Across the miles now I am not forgotten as grandchildren join my celebration.   Far too many other family members and friends exist only in my memory.   

This year, I unexpectedly was delighted to share some of my much younger neighbors delicious chocolaty chocolate October birthday cake.  

Author, blogger, Katherine Esty recently celebrated her 88th birthday which caused her to think about what life might be like at 90 or older as she edges closer to that decade.   She shares "What It's Like To Be Over 90" HERE in interviews with some she knows that age.  

Wellness and disability issues are discussed coupled with a view revealing whatever one's physical condition an attitude exists of believing we're "Lucky To Be Alive" as younger old folks have said, too.

A probably 95 year old woman now I know is continuing to thrive living independently in her single family home following her husband's death some years ago.  "C" as I'll refer to her continued her career as a hairdresser after she left the aerospace industry in an earlier decade until Covid caused the hair salon to close when she was age 93.  Even then she often continued helping clients where they lived including shopping for them.  

"C" had begun experiencing some challenges standing for long periods and began using a walker in some situations outside the beauty salon.  She has some medical problems but continues to cope.  She's always been in an upbeat mood in our occasional phone conversations to catch up on our lives, or when she stopped by the house a year or so ago.   

Most recently, "C" speaks of selling her home and moving as one of her daughters may from her state to northern California where more of their immediate family is now living.  

I appreciate learning about other individuals lives as they travel along the ageing highway, especially those living independently in their homes without benefit of community care facilities offerings.   My situation presents challenges quite different from that provided in long term care even at the independent living level. 

Having no family or even immediate close friends nearby can present additional complications as I experience which doesn't lessen the older one becomes.  I have characterized my decision to choose this way of living my sunset years as "The Grand Experiment".  Experiments outcomes can become unpredictable.  

Perhaps you'll find Katherine Esty's blog at the link provided above of interest as she writes from her long term continuing care community.  Certainly the views and attitudes of her fellow residents reflect the lives they lead and their experiences.   I wonder if or how they might differ from those living in other than in long term continuing care settings?  

Everyone living who survives many years with the obstacles they may have encountered in their path sprinkled among the joy and happiness they've had can consider themselves fortunate.  Some of those obstacles may be of the person's own making caused by words said or unsaid, actions taken or lack of action.  Then there are other complications that occur beyond the person's influence or control.  Somehow the individual has bypassed the obstacle in some fashion, overcome, or found a way to live with the result.    

Whatever the situation celebrating each birthday is well-deserved the older we become, especially when we consider the alternative.

"HERE'S TO LIFE" -- Shirley Horn with John Williams and the Boston Pops Orchestra, 1993

21 comments:

  1. Sorry you've got some health issues to deal with right now. It seems like everyone---young and old---are less than 100% these days.

    Aging is a scary thing but the alternative is worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A combination of a number of matters are present.

      Delete
  2. Hoping your personal issues have a good resolution. You were missed.
    We have really dug ourselves a political hole haven't we? I haven't missed a vote in 52 years and think this year may be one of the more important votes to cast. Won't miss it for sure.
    As for turning 90 eventually I do have my concerns. The mind is still clicking but the body is creaking thanks to the 80's. It is amazing what we learn to adjust to. Have made no long term plans and probably should. Thanks for the nudge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks — time does have a way of moving on bringing changes in the process.

      Delete
  3. Belated happy birthday wishes. That is a lovely memory of your son baking the cake!
    My immediate family, (our only child and her family) is living on the other side of the planet, literally. To get there, we need to travel for 30+ hours. We never made much of a fuss about it, organised visiting each other, saved up for decent airline tickets, regularly see and speak with each other via various social media channels and so on but covid has made us very much aware of the age gap and time running faster than ever. I am due to retire in 2023, the man, who is very healthy and fit, has just turned 70 and so we are all considering various options, incl. us emigrating. Some days I find that uplifting, other days I could freak out simply thinking of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the BD wish — they come up quite quickly each year it seems. I can appreciate how you feel about emigrating and all that would entail.

      Delete
  4. Happy belated Birthday, Joared! Yes... I think we all know what it's like to cope with aging. And as for DJT, there's no way he will testify and no way for them to make him testify. There isn't enough time. He will stall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! When you have to do the math from your birthdate to the present, just to remember how old you are, that's getting oldish. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have gotten old at a pretty young age 'cause starting even in my late twenties I started having to "do the math" to be sure of my age. I didn't think much about my years except at the beginning of each decade -- 30s, 40's and at 50 I remember thinking I was at the half-way point. Of course, 65 is an "in our face" age for a variety of changes that occur ie Soc. Sec. for one. At 80 a few years ago I began to wonder how many more years I might have thinking of the age at which my mother died, then my decade older brother at that same age. Time will tell.

      Delete
  6. I'm 75 and I can't imagine what it would be like to be in my nineties. Certainly C seems to be making the most of her life despite her advanced age. My mother lived till 96 but unfortunately she had given up on life and no longer took any interest in what was going on around her. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard for me to think of being in my nineties in a few more years, but then eighties seem unreal, too, seventies not so much.

      Delete
  7. Ramana Rajgopaul10/25/2022 6:16 AM

    Today is my 73 year old sister's birthday. She is currently visiting her son in the USA and I had to just be satisfied with sending her a birthday greeting via WhatsApp. Her response stunned me. Apart from thanking me, she assured me that she will ensure that both of us will spend the rest of our lives with a great deal of activity and cheer. What a response!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful message to receive from your sister -- a great attitude to have for the years ahead. A happy birthday to her!

      Delete
  8. Good to see you feisty writing, Joared! And co-incidentally, I today wrote about aging and blogging and will be interested to read the blog on your link.
    I originally misread "Midterm Elections" as "Mayhem Elections" and marveled at your wit. Turns out it was my wit. :) Did I nail it or what? Those ads are appalling. And yes, democracy is truly on the line. At least what we call democracy, all hail corporate masters. And I still think DJT will get away with it all with his stacked supreme court, this was all planned well in advance. Though it's lovely to see that evil Clarence on the carpet for once. Two of my former colleagues worked with him at one point and said they had never encountered such an appalling subhuman and were explicit in what they described.
    I hope your setback is temporary. I am a familiar with ill health.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Mayhem Elections" captures the situation well and likely will apply even more so in 2024. Had to laugh at your misreading my words!
      A most unfortunate, to say the least, appointment to our court. My health is what it is with recent skin issue of minor concern and seems to be resolving, but am into some other matters.

      Delete
  9. Blog policy does not permit publishing comments attempting to seek free advertising promoting their commercial enterprise. All links to a blogger and their site as well as content in comments must be in English.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Joared, happy belated birthday. I hope the cake delighted your taste buds!

    Now, just briefly, thank you for what you've said about the political era in which we are now living. I fear for our democracy. It took about 8 or so years for Nazism to take hold in Germany. The party lost elections in the beginning but hung on and in the end birthed a war that caught all of the world up in its bombs and hatred and holocaust and racial arrogance. I was just a child, but I remember the daily newspaper photographs and Ernie Pyle's reports.

    Now, some among us seem to want, almost desperately, to have our own authoritarian government. I wonder if they really have considered the consequences.

    As to aging, I'm discovering frequently what that means in terms of letting go and loss. Both have new definitions for me. Like you, I have experienced and will continue to experience the loss of beloved family members and friends. I find myself so grateful that they chose me for a friend and shared their lives with me.

    Finally, thank you for introducing to "Here's to Life." I've never heard it before and will try to find it so as to listen again.

    Peace from Dee Ready (cominghometomyself.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the BD wish, Dee. I, too, was a young girl during WWIi with experiences much as you describe, also my older brother going to war. Through the years I wondered how Germans, including religious folks, many of whom didn’t support Nazi values, could have been seduced into becoming such a autocratic state. I began reading historical accounts of European countries social, economic and political state leading first to WWI, then WWII. Coincidentally, I began to see similarities developing in the U.S. with alarming obviousness in 2016 with the leader’s words and actions who took office that year. Individuals and groups supporting him increasingly espoused a lack of values consistent with those of our nation. His and their efforts to undermine our citizens trust in our form of government have been and continue to be an existential threat to our republic’s democracy and freedoms. This is an ongoing danger especially for at least the next decade from all those who support such errant beliefs with outright lies. Citizens must exercise their votes by carefully casting them only for candidates in a political party dedicated to preserving our democratic republic’s constitutional form of government with individual freedoms guaranteed by law and order as set forth by our forefathers— “if we can keep it.”

      Delete
  11. I'm three years short of my ninetieth. First I gave up rock-climbing, then cycle touring, then ski-ing, then long(ish) distance swimming. More recently I hired a gardener but mainly because I loathe gardening. I regret all these full stops but keeping on writing (in effect an extension of 44 years as a journalist) kept despair at bay. But ideally I needed something new. Along came a truly Damascene moment; within 24 hr of tentatively and inexplicably asking my wife whether singing lessons seemed a good idea I was, aged 80, ringing up a local vocal teacher and listening to her say age was immaterial, what mattered was desire. And I fully agree. Two weeks ago, after loads and loads of Schubert I felt it was time I tried Beethoven even though voice isn't really part of his genius. An die ferne Geliebte is one of his rare exceptions. It looked deceptively simple but that speculation quickly fizzled out. It's hard, and that's the point. Old I may be but I'm tackling something that's new and difficult. I'd say "Yeah." pronounced American style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Undertaking something new is highly recommended to benefit us as we age to keep us mentally alert and vibrant so sounds like you have the right idea. Not everybody takes up singing or is able to since the vocal cords may not always cooperate as even professionals can experience.

      Delete